• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

50 Seriously Useful Windows 7 Tips

Joe Average

Ad Blocker - Banned
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
15,459
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-seriously-useful-windows-7-tips-528483

Nicely done article with some neat stuff - even I learned a few neat things. But for most of us involved in the discussions here about Windows 7, a lot of this is old news... even so, it's cool to see it brought up on occasion for the "n00bs" that join and don't look back past the day's postings.

Discussion is welcome... just keep it civil, will ya?

#45 is particularly useful to me for a variety of reasons... neat stuff, indeed.
 
How did I know you would be the author of this thread, before I even looked to the right side of my screen to see? Since I finally got a replacement video card, I'll be firing up my Windows 7 beta box again this weekend, so I'll give the tips a try.
 
How did I know you would be the author of this thread, before I even looked to the right side of my screen to see?

You're not the only one. Thanks again Joe for a useful link. Saw a few things I didn't know about.
 
Parallel defrags is a nice feature.

Running Explorer in a seperate process is also sweet.

The Problem Steps Recorder is pretty sweet. I had used it when it first came out and it's really slick. No doubt I'll forget it's there but it's also good to make how-to manuals for users.
 
I understand that #27 has a new shortcut for doing this, but hasn't launching "Explorer in a separate process" been a feature ever since Windows 98?
 
If you enable it, yes. I've never been able to understand why it's not the default setting in the first place to be honest, because it should be. I would guess Microsoft has some reasoning for it since IE is so tightly integrated into the Explorer shell, who knows.
 
If you enable it, yes. I've never been able to understand why it's not the default setting in the first place to be honest, because it should be. I would guess Microsoft has some reasoning for it since IE is so tightly integrated into the Explorer shell, who knows.

I agree.

Stability > Performance (and we're talking a minute amount here).

I could understand why MS would leave it disabled on machines 10 years ago due to limited resources but it's annoying that I have to turn it on now on a new installation just so browsing "My Network Places" doesn't bring down the whole shell.
 
Yes, it's called "stop whining about it and install the release candidate when it's out, that way you get another extension because the release candidate fixes bugs and improves performance as well as adding some neat new stuff which makes it easier to stop whining about the fact that the beta isn't the only release you should be running when the release candidate comes out."

When RC1 is released, if you choose to keep running Beta 1 all the way till it fucking dies, so be it. But please, people, stop whining about the damned expiration date. Whoever is idiotic enough to run a single beta build from start to expiration date shouldn't be running it in the first place - you're obviously not testing it as you should be, you're running it for the "Cool" factor to say "Look at me, look at me..."

A true beta tester never even looks at the expiration date - they look at the date for the next release because when it appears they wipe the old installation and put on the new.

Why is that so tough for folks to understand? :D
 
Yes, it's called "stop whining about it and install the release candidate when it's out, that way you get another extension because the release candidate fixes bugs and improves performance as well as adding some neat new stuff which makes it easier to stop whining about the fact that the beta isn't the only release you should be running when the release candidate comes out."

When RC1 is released, if you choose to keep running Beta 1 all the way till it fucking dies, so be it. But please, people, stop whining about the damned expiration date. Whoever is idiotic enough to run a single beta build from start to expiration date shouldn't be running it in the first place - you're obviously not testing it as you should be, you're running it for the "Cool" factor to say "Look at me, look at me..."

A true beta tester never even looks at the expiration date - they look at the date for the next release because when it appears they wipe the old installation and put on the new.

Why is that so tough for folks to understand? :D

lol, I didn't hear any news of an RC being released prior or during the beta expiration so I was assuming that when this expires that we would have to go back to Vista or XP. Which would suck. :(
 
I'm pretty sure they won't let that happen.

and also, on page 4, around the last 10-15 items, there are some really cool things that'll help quite a bit with running multiple programs and windows.
 
Great tips Joe. Bookmarked and ill check them out when i install 7 here soon!

Like the 2nd poster... i knew you had posted this the second i say the title! haha
 
Back
Top