• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

50 Inch Plasma - View distance help

Joined
Jan 13, 2011
Messages
13
So I just moved into a tiny apartment. It's a 1 bedroom with a hallway like area where I want to put a tv mounted to the wall.

The thing is its a 5-5.5 foot viewing distance away from where the couch would be. I have a 50 inch plasma, have a feeling that's way too close am I right?

Should I buy something like a 40-42 inch instead and just mount that? I used a view distance calculator, it says that would be optimal. Just want to get some opinions on what you guys think. I really don't want to buy another TV but I will if I have to.

Heres some pics to get an idea of what I'm working with.

Thanks!

419C5791-698C-4DD7-BC55-C72D7BC22219-15854-00000A2669453DFC_zpsb8c7418f.jpg

51B6ECB8-A8D6-4028-85EF-AED28679B0FD-15854-00000A266741F5A5_zps45391f28.jpg

909EC71E-C3B0-4B13-812F-33EC32945E50-15854-00000A266533ED75_zpscbc0a13b.jpg
 
Maybe it's just because I don't live in the land of Rich People, but wtf @ the OP's predicament.

Look at your (or any) 50" TV from the viewing distance given. Is it too big for you at that distance (key words underlined in case you needed it)?

"Optimal" is subjective, and more of a guideline to help you rather than rules which all should abide by. At the end of the day, what it comes down to is what you're willing to put up with. Can you with your current eyesight see gross pixelation or screen door effect from a closer viewing distance than is "optimal"? Many people cannot; and what's more, many people like myself can see those things at more-than-optimal distances, calling for changes to either the source being played or panel type or whatever. But if you're seriously about to downgrade to a smaller panel size just because of slightly sub-"optimal" view distance and not because you yourself have tested this as something you can't stand, then bravo for having more money than brains.
 
Maybe it's just because I don't live in the land of Rich People, but wtf @ the OP's predicament.

Look at your (or any) 50" TV from the viewing distance given. Is it too big for you at that distance (key words underlined in case you needed it)?

"Optimal" is subjective, and more of a guideline to help you rather than rules which all should abide by. At the end of the day, what it comes down to is what you're willing to put up with. Can you with your current eyesight see gross pixelation or screen door effect from a closer viewing distance than is "optimal"? Many people cannot; and what's more, many people like myself can see those things at more-than-optimal distances, calling for changes to either the source being played or panel type or whatever. But if you're seriously about to downgrade to a smaller panel size just because of slightly sub-"optimal" view distance and not because you yourself have tested this as something you can't stand, then bravo for having more money than brains.

Lol thanks. I'm going to hook it up and see what it looks like regardless, just wanted to see what people thought.
 
Back
Top