5 Wishes for the Next Generation of Game Consoles

Many people in this thread want a console to have a lot of things that the PC already has.

I see a simple solution.

This guy is a moron, He wouldn't care if consoles got more powerful... Soo he'd be fine with buying a new console with the same hardware, as long as he can re-live some football scenario, which there's nothing that would stop current consoles from doing. How does this man have a job????

Someone literally gives him money for him to write this bullshit LOL

1. For console players and PC players to be able to play with each other.
2. Keyboard and mouse support for all console games.

Consoles' selling point is simplicity. The throw-in-the-disc-and-play mentality. Here's my wish..

There's no real reason to make consoles upgradable for those who do know what they're doing - just like a computer. A new Geforce 19860 GTXYZK 35gb card came out? Open it up and pull out the old gaming card and pop the new one in.

Might have to buy an upgrade power adapter too to support the power requirement of new cards though.

I have only one wish for the next generation of consoles.

There isn't a next generation.

Many experts believe that consoles only have 2 more generations left. They believe this is more to do with tablets and smart phones then PCs.

no real reason NOT to make console upgradable, I meant.

So if everyone is handicapped to the same skill level, what's the point of trying to get better?

The only thing preventing me from buying a XBOX 360 was no mouse & keyboard. If it had that I would of bought one a long time ago. Remember Phantom's lapboard? That would be awesome for a console.

So if everyone is handicapped to the same skill level, what's the point of trying to get better?

STFU and keep buying my crappy products! :mad: Everyone's happy. Jimmy gets to kill you, and that makes him happy, and you get to kill him sometimes too. Plus I get paid! EVERYONE'S HAPPY! :mad:

That's why.

Here are my five wishes:

• Enough RAM for once
  • KB/M support
  • All games have required installs (listening to a PS3's constant noisy whirring and mechanics gets old fast)
  • Digital distribution an option for all games
  • Optional smaller version of console with no optical media (can optionally load steam-style encrypted files from a USB drive if needed).

Seamless handicapping is the only interesting idea this guy has. But, this is an in-game issue, not a console issue.

That officially makes all five of his ideas stupid.

How about mouse and keyboard support? Everything has a USB port now, so I presume they will have USB in the future. I would love to type my name into the game instead of the current dashboard keyboard. I would also love to have a mouse because mouse and keyboard is superior to handheld controllers in FPS. Even If I was locked into using a controller for game-play, let me use a mouse in the menus.

I use a keyboard on my xbox for just that reason. Have you tried plugging a keyboard into your system?

Might as well give aimbot software to a handicapped kid because he deserves to hack. That kind of mentality will make people give up gaming. The point of gaming is to win on a level playing field fair and square. If one person is better than another person then practice. Tough luck to those that suck.

Anyone who makes such a list and doesn't include full keyboard/mouse support is totally clueless. Some of the biggest games are FPS,yet consoles have stubbornly refused to support the best control system for such games.

Look at the title

GEEKDAD 2.0
Another parent who thinks the whole world should stop, revolve and compensate for his spawn and make sure everything is a gravy train made out of easy streets

Going by number 4, I bet his school concentrated on feelings and self esteem, and forgot how to teach him to be competitive.
:rolleyes:

1. Not everyone has a decent enough connection for streaming. ISPs like capping bandwidth usage. Requiring streaming would suck.

2. Honestly, I agree with this if it only refers to holding up development of hardware and the software required, or jacks the cost up. My ps2 didn't magically disappear when I bought my ps3. Even if it did, I could have picked up a ps2 for under $100, and I certainly would have appreciated paying less for the ps3. I've never used backwards compatibility in any console. Sony yanked ps2 support on the ps3, MS quit updating for backwards compatibility, and even Nintendo launched a new revision of the Wii without backwards compatibility support. It's pretty obvious that it causes headaches for these companies otherwise they wouldn't take the time to bother removing it(and the outrage that happens every time is a vocal minority).

3. Ummm.. whatever.

4. This guy is on crack.

5. This is the only thing I completely agree with. Consoles have had add-ons since as far back as I can remember. I had a bunch of extra crap for my Atari 2600 that was used by maybe a total of 4 games. The NES, Master system, SNES, Genesis, n64, ps1, ps2, ps3, xbox, xbox 360, gamecube, etc. have all had miscellaneous BS addons(mostly a lot of light guns) and every time there is limited support for the peripherals.

1. Nailed it. Especially now that it seems that ISPs are more likely to enact DL caps and bandwidth throttling. People out in the sticks tend to have it worse since their speeds may not be decently fast for gaming.

2. True and false. False because it helps with early adopters to transition to the new system with their existing library of games. True because of the possibility of incomplete compatibility, and how the BC is done.

3. Just wait for the next Madden game then.

4. Guess that guy never played more than one type of game then. "Level playing field" style of difficulty leveling system will NEVER work. Period. Some games don't even have an adjustable difficulty system, in which the difficulty ramps up the further along you play. A few games have even gone so far as to have an on-the-fly auto-adjusting difficulty system.

5. No one says you have to use "add-on" technology. For 3D, it may be as "simple" as a plug-in for the middleware the developer is using. That seems to be the case for Gears 3 and the current Unreal Engine. If you don't want to use gesture-based inputs, either don't use it or play a different game.

All I got out of this "article" is that he's whining about how it sometimes takes more effort to play some games. I'd like to tell him to shut up and play, or stop playing games altogether. He's definitely not [H]ard...fucking whiner.

Forgot to add that I was quoting for point #1. The other points were a response to the "article". Derp.

#4 "Call of Duty" and Social aspect. This is a game where you are shooting at someone right? Not sure if this is the same line of thinking of where sports should have no tracking of the score as to not offend anyone. ( I just picture the UN showing up over here and taking away our drones, night vision, body armor to make it "fair"). Not sure a FPS is the type of game for a father son to be bonding over.

#1 As I walk by the tents and here the video games going with no web access everyone would be hosed out here. I don't think everyone would want a "netflix" style of gaming. Keep it simple drop a disk in, make your person and play. To note there are laptops with age of empire / other type games where people play against each other on there internal wireless so the PC is alive and well out here. The each have there place.

#2 I think one needs to look at who is buying the product. I think a family on a fixed income would be more willing to buy a system knowing that there current game library can be brought with. Its not a worry for all but coming from a "dad / family" point of view it helps. (it kind of sounds like Apple vs PC with one cutting the cord sooner than the other)

#3 There was some FPS / war game out there that was to have downloads of just happened battles / engagements. It started with an "A". I don't think the game sold that well. I am sure the NFL would love to have you pay to be able to replay the game you just watched. Not sure how quickly one could program that in / convert the game into playable content. But there is money to be made with that idea. As I am sure all sports games could be moved to that type of format. Heck where to most of the wargames get there stuff from history.

#5 Would we have dancing games or music games without an add on. It seems to me the add on made the Consoles MORE family friendly by bring new types of games to ones living room. Would this mean that flight games on the PC shouldn't have fight sticks one can add for the ENJOYMENT?

Overall the console / PC bring a part of home to faraway places. And the FPS do help with being able to talk tactics and rules of engagement in a setting that younger Soldiers enjoy.

5. No one says you have to use "add-on" technology. For 3D, it may be as "simple" as a plug-in for the middleware the developer is using. That seems to be the case for Gears 3 and the current Unreal Engine. If you don't want to use gesture-based inputs, either don't use it or play a different game.

All I got out of this "article" is that he's whining about how it sometimes takes more effort to play some games. I'd like to tell him to shut up and play, or stop playing games altogether. He's definitely not [H]ard...fucking whiner.

The guy is definitely a whiner. Regarding add-on peripherals though, you're right that they aren't a requirement... but it depends. The N64 desperately needed more RAM, and there was an add-on that got used for a whole 2 games even though it would have been incredibly useful for all games, but the devs couldn't count on everyone owning it.

The stupid 2nd analog stick add-on for the 3ds would be another prime example.

The xbox 360 not having a hard drive is probably the worst. Every game developer for the 360 is stuck having to support consoles that might not have a HDD even though the 20GB HDD add-on got as cheap as $30 or so(last time I saw it on sale anyway) because not everyone has the thing.

The SNES would have been even better with 4 controller ports built in, but like the NES it was done via the multi-tap adapter and almost nothing supported it(because so few people bought it).

The plastic crap(lightguns, music instruments, kinect, powerglove, etc.) is one thing that isn't necessary and as a result has limited game support. But there have been a number of times that the hardware companies should have included something but didn't, or instead opted out of including it and forced devs to be stuck compensating for it later. There are probably a few other examples of things that should have been included at launch but instead wound up as add-ons.

Back