5$labtop freezing up

urbanlegend786

Limp Gawd
my sister just got a new labtop and i bought the old one off her for 5$bucks and the reason she had to get a new labtop was cuz it kept freezing, when she took it to get repaired they reinstalled windows adn ecrything but my dad said it was either the otherboard or psu.....anyone know where i could get a replament motherboard ro psu to check it out.....thanks

eBay is your only hope.

999999/1000000 times, the parts are specific to a specific model.

Yea, you could check there for the parts but...

Unless it's already been tried I would attempt to re-seat the HDD and the memory to see if that does anything. It's a long shot but it's certainly worth a shot.

its laptop, and punctution is your friend.

ill put my money on heat. how hot does it get under load?

lithium726 said:
its laptop, and punctution is your friend.

ill put my money on heat. how hot does it get under load?

Capitalization, though, is evil. As far as punctuation goes, apostrophes are overrated. I gotta agree, though, posts that look like they were typed by a drunken chimp make me want to chew my arms off.

Urban - it isn't likely that anybody can help you without the specifics. Lithium spoke what came to my mind right away, though; turn 'er on and put your hand under there. If your laptop is getting too hot to touch, you should check and see if the fans still work.

Likely overheating is causing it to freeze, many times it can be linked to a faulty fan.

urbanlegend786 said:
when i turn it on, i can hear the fan (its pretty loud)???wat else could it be
dead motherobard more than likely. Does the fan slow down or does the HDD activity light come on, signifying the loading of windows?

Capitalization, though, is evil. As far as punctuation goes, apostrophes are overrated.
Capitalization and apostrophes do not affect readability. Commas and periods do.

Have you reseated the heatsink on the laptop cpu if possible? I have to agree with the others this sounds like a cooling issue, or maybe just a harddrive one.

I got a free HP XF255 because they though the mobo was bad, turns out the heatsink paste dried up and there was so little of it that it caused lockups from overheating.

damit man, i just sat down to try to apply some of the new stuff u guys said, and I LOST THE CHARGER!!!, after about half an hour of searching i found the wire part and the case for the charger but i lost the adapter part, **** man, well im gonna go rip my house apart looking for ir, ill be right back(in like 3 days, AHHHH!!!!!!) im so frustrated right now!!!, AHHH

I would probably try reformatting and reinstalling Windows, and all the drivers myself just to make sure it's not a software, driver problem, or got reinfected by the same stuff that might have caused the problems to begin with.

LadyMakoFox said:
Have you reseated the heatsink on the laptop cpu if possible? I have to agree with the others this sounds like a cooling issue, or maybe just a harddrive one.

I got a free HP XF255 because they though the mobo was bad, turns out the heatsink paste dried up and there was so little of it that it caused lockups from overheating.

Fixed yet? Take a hair drier to heat up the heatsink, that makes the thermal compound loosen up, and you can remove the heatsink from the processor...
Add new thermal compound and go.

Taradino said:
Fixed yet? Take a hair drier to heat up the heatsink, that makes the thermal compound loosen up, and you can remove the heatsink from the processor...
Add new thermal compound and go.

Normaly its so dried up or so little that you can pull it off.

Back