5.25" Drive Arrays

myren

Limp Gawd
Any suggestions for 5.25" drive arrays? I'm looking to fill a 9 bay case with as many hard drives as can be made externally accessible and am looking for cheap drive arrays to do it with. I'd seen an ok addonics and prlwytkovsky suggested a supermicro unit. The supermicro is cheaper and a better name, I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for other 5.25" drive arrays that I should look at? Cheaper would be sweet but $100 seems to be the norm.

Kingwin
iStarUSA
Athena Power
Icy Dock

There is a Kingwin for ~$75 on newegg.

I havent had any trouble with the iStar units, I have both the locking bar and turn lock ones.

For less than the price of those units you could get a dedicated case for what you want to do.

With 9 bays an most of those units taking up 3 bays and holding a max of 5 drives, you could only fit 15 drives, and thats with no space left for a DVD drive and an OS drive. This case has 20 bays.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219021&Tpk=norco

that's a nice alternative
I have a supermicro cage for my 5 WD 1TB GP drives and it works great
swapped the fan for a low speed Scythe

One more vote for the Supermicro bays. I am now running four of them between two machines, and I just ordered four more. The fan absolutely has to be replaced for desktop/office use, but other than they they are awesome.

Of course you will need a case that doesn't have little ledges for each 5.25" bay, or you will need to bend those ledges back to make the Supermicro (or any other bay for that matter) fit.

I got two supermicros to start. I've never been upset by a single Supermicro purchase. If I'd seen the Kingwin's I probably would have gone for them instead, simply for the $25/piece savings.

Indeed a purpose built case would be better but a mid-tower is required for my hosting provider. If I give them a rack case they'll charge me 3x as much.

Forgive me for butting in but do the Supermicros allow for SATA2 speeds?

As far as Addonics go, I could swear they made chassis before and Supermicro used to use them. But that was years ago and they were some pretty industrial/sturdy cases. But then my mind is like a steel sieve sometimes.

Edit: I think I'm wrong about the Supermicro/Addonics case thing but I do know Addonics has been around for a long time.

Back