My Creative Gigworks G550W speakers has finally died on me. The speakers still work but the control console got fried by static electricity. What would be a worthy upgrade? There doesn't seem to be too many options out there.
Doesn't look too bad but heard it was inferior to it's predecessor the z-5500. I've also been looking at speakers from Edifier. Anyone have any experience with them?
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I moved to a high end 2.0 setup using paradigm studio 10s with a 12" sub and 165w/per channel through a sony strdn840 and optical. I won't be going back to any of these pos 5.1 that are not only overpriced but absolutely inferior.
I recommend considering your options outside of these PC speakers.
You buy a used Klipsch 5.1 Ultra, or you could build your own sub/satellite system.
Not many options because since 2000 the government has printed so much money to fight terrorism gold has gone from $250/ounce to $1350/ounce. So you can imagine, trying to build a $400 sound system in today's economy would cost $1000 or more unless your entire production line was slave labor from China. I mean hell it used to profitable to mine gold at $250/ounce, now they can't even break even under $1250/ounce because the dollar has lost so much value. And there's so much inflation in China even they can't sell us a system that like anymore for 2000 prices.
You can get great bang for your buck buying used audio gear.
I picked up an older Denon receiver and a Mission 5.1 setup for $100.
I then moved the Mission 8" sub to another system and bought a used 10" 200w Paradigm DSP-3100 for $150.
It beats the hell out of pretty much every "PC" surround system you can find.
The one thing I want to change in the future is move to a different receiver as I'm just running digital coaxial to my receiver and dolby digital live to give me 5.1 surround.
The Xonar Essence STX is a bit wasted at the moment as I never ended up buying a better pair of headphones to use with it.
I just spend most of my time listening to music and watching video using the speakers and that paradigm sub does such a good job with the low end!