• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

5.1 on the cheap?

nathancipher

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
322
Hey guys, I just moved to place where I can be a bit louder than in my previous apartment and I'm looking to get a 5.1 setup for my living room for cheap. Budget is $300-$400 tops. Cheaper is better in this case though.

Now, before you high end junkies jump in here and remind me that you get what you pay for, trust me I know. It's just that I have to factor in how much I would actually use this system, and the dollars to my enjoyment ratio. I will be using it for movies now and then, and for my Xbox 360 which I play for about 3-5 hours a week.

Oh and, per the woman, it must be black. lol.

Thanks in advance.
 
Take a look at some Logitech 5.1 setups. You probably could find some new or refurbished units on eBay for pretty cheap prices.

<< hangs head in shame for actually recommending Logitech speakers... the horror, the horror... :p >>
 
Oh, forgot to mention I need something with a receiver or at the very least a way to switch between sources. I'll be using a DVD player(Blu Ray once it's more affordable,) Xbox 360, and a cable box with all this. I am exploring the HTIB avenue currently, looking at the Yamaha YHT-391BL, wondering if there are better options around that price range or if I may be better off piecing a system together.
 
Where are good places to look for this sort of stuff? Currently looking at Newegg, B&H. Not sure where else is good to check.
 
Oh, forgot to mention I need something with a receiver or at the very least a way to switch between sources. I'll be using a DVD player(Blu Ray once it's more affordable,) Xbox 360, and a cable box with all this. I am exploring the HTIB avenue currently, looking at the Yamaha YHT-391BL, wondering if there are better options around that price range or if I may be better off piecing a system together.
Oh, yeah a receiver makes a big difference... and absolves me of the sin of recommending Logitech. Good keyboards, awful speakers.

A friend has that Dayton 5.1 system in his condo. He paired it with a Marantz SR4002 and it sounds really good. Check Amazon, eBay, Buy.com, accessories4less.com for these and other speakers and receivers.
 
That Pioneer one looks nice for the price (especially at the price you got it). Thanks for the info. I think that or the Onkyo at accessories4less or luck out on a good bid at Harmonaudio for the JBL HT system may be some possible options.

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Harman-Audio__W0QQ_armrsZ1

Edit: Oh yeah for the higher end price ($400) one last option is the TSC set that anthrex found for $260 in his thread (a few threads below), paired with a good deal on a HK AVR 154 on HarmanAudio (saw one bidding for $100).
 
Last edited:
Hey CaliGirl, how is the Denon Energy setup you got? I remember your thread a while back regarding this setup.

Sorry for the OT post, and yeah, that was the TSC set that anthrex also found. I think that is a great price for a 6.1.
 
Zenshi, both setups sound great...I'm just waiting to get everything all setup and then I will post pictures and a mini review..

 
If you need a receiver, then what you are after in that range is a HTIB, Home Theatre in-a Box. If you've a membership to Costco or Sam's Club, they always seem to have a couple and usually they are good deals. Also Target and other retailers carry them.

Don't go for separates (as in a separate receiver and individual speakers) at that price point, you just won't find anything worthwhile.

The Yamaha you are looking at looks good, I personally rather like Yamaha receivers, they seem to be good for the money (I use one in my living room).

If your HTIB setup comes with a real receiver, and many do, you do have the option of upgrading speakers later.
 
I disagree with the above Sycraft. The TSC set that CaliGirl links to will blow away most any HTIB in that price range. You don't have to believe me but can go with the reviews.

http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=838

Even the lesser setup using TSAT1000's are higher rated than most HTIB packages.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/speakers/satellite/tsat-1000-ht8-b/tsat-1000-ht8-b-build-quality

ID companies usually can give better products for lower price compared to getting something from B&M stores by cutting out the middleman. Even amongst the ID companies, TSC is geared to providing value systems for the entry level buyer.

For example, Costco presently is selling the Energy Take 8" sub for like $175 or so. I like Energy stuff and that is a pretty nice deal at Costco, but the TSC system I would expect gives similar performance for much less money. I would not feel as much this way if I did not see the reviews and the audioholic owner reviews of the TSC sub.

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56741

Also, I like Yamaha too but don't discount HK, Denon or Marantz (actually Denon and Marantz are from same parent company, which coincidentally also owns TSC). HK, Denon and Marantz are reputed for not overly specifying their power specs. This is something that is not universal to receiver companies. Harmanaudio can provide a receiver that would normally cost $400 - $500 at a typical store for half that price. So can Accessories4less and it seems the Vanns deal is also that way.

JMO.

Edit: Oh and CaliGirl, thanks for the reply. I look forward to seeing the setup.
 
Last edited:
Well I disagree. In my listening, I find that at the low end modular components just aren't that good. Need to be talking a higher dollar amount before they become worth it. My gear is all modular, but then it is a good deal out of the OP's price range (one of my amps would blow his budget).
 
I am not disagreeing with you that the lower price range modular components are not as good as the higher price ones (well with the exception of Blose :p). That is obvious. What I am saying is that HTIB kits at Costco or Target are no better and most of the time worse alternatives than the TSC set at comparable price range.
 
Back
Top