• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5.1 for music ?

jpmkm said:
You can tell your speakers are inadequate when you have to add speakers just to fill the room with sound.

Computer audio is stored digitally, so converting to analog in the soundcard isn't going to necessarily sound better than converting to analog externally.

That's just funny. It's not that the speakers are inadeqaute, it's that I want it to be relatively loud around the room, not just at 2 points right in front of the speakers. You obviously don't...ahh nm.

It is true that since all mp3 computer audio begins as digital, it won't make an ass bit of difference, but in playing a cd, for example, it's an analog signal all the way through.
 
ehZn said:
That's just funny. It's not that the speakers are inadeqaute, it's that I want it to be relatively loud around the room, not just at 2 points right in front of the speakers. You obviously don't...ahh nm.
Well you have obviously never heard a good pair of 3way speakers. A pair of good speakers can easily fill the room(and the hallway and the rooms next to me, if I wanted to). If your speakers are only loud at a couple points right in front of your speakers then they aren't putting out very much sound and therefore are inadequate. You could probably get about the same sound by turning up some headphones all the way.

It is true that since all mp3 computer audio begins as digital, it won't make an ass bit of difference, but in playing a cd, for example, it's an analog signal all the way through.
CDs are analog? Would you care to back that up? What about any other audio stored on the hard drive. Tell me how a digital storage medium such as a hard drive or cdrom can store analog audio.
 
You get an analog signal off a CDrom if you have the analog cable connected to the soundcard but I hope everyone here has the digial cd audio check box selected so the sound is transfered over the IDE cable and stays digital
 
I would like to avoid an argument, but this topic is basically dealing with multimedia speakers, and Klipsch sound reproduction is this department is among the best anywhere. Have you ever heard them? Please tell me they are inadeqaute only from personal experience. And if you do I will end you :)

Also, since cd's are simply digital samplings of an original analog signal, it's a moot point. Once the analog signal has been digitally transformed, information is lost. In terms of this, cd-rom's can output either an analog or digital signal, but still for a cd or even dvd it makes no difference as long as there is no more information lost along the way.
 
ehZn said:
I would like to avoid an argument, but this topic is basically dealing with multimedia speakers, and Klipsch sound reproduction is this department is among the best anywhere. Have you ever heard them? Please tell me they are inadeqaute only from personal experience. And if you do I will end you :)
Your description tells me they are inadequate and therefore I have no desire to try them. The speakers may have excellent reproduction but if they can't put much sound out then I don't even want to mess with them.

Also, since cd's are simply digital samplings of an original analog signal, it's a moot point. Once the analog signal has been digitally transformed, information is lost. In terms of this, cd-rom's can output either an analog or digital signal, but still for a cd or even dvd it makes no difference as long as there is no more information lost along the way.
That was pretty much my point. It doesn't matter where it gets converted from digital to analog. At one point it was digital, so you argument that since sound is analog then analog outputs would have better response is pretty pointless. Would you rather convert to analog in the cdrom drive and pick up noise from inside and outside your computer, just so that you have that analog signal? Or would you rather keep it digital for as long as possible to avoid picking up noise?

I'm not saying that noise is necessarily a big issue here. I'm just saying that the argument that sound is analog and therefore one should use the analog outputs is pretty ignorant.
 
Wow I try and avoid an argument and all you do is insult me.

My Klipsch speakers fucking own, and they are loud enough to outdo most home theater systems. Please stop commenting on how inadequate your experience with speakers really is.

On the analog vs digital thing, you totally missed my fucking point. If the original signal is analog, then using a digital signal is only losing information. If the the original signal is digital, as it often is now, it makes a rat's ass bit of difference which one you use.

The idea I was TRYING to get across is that the way Klipsch reasoning in not having digital inputs is that since sound is inherently analog, making it digital doesn't improve anything.

Done.
 
ehZn said:
Wow I try and avoid an argument and all you do is insult me.
I am not insulting you. Interpret it as you wish but my intention is not to insult.

My Klipsch speakers fucking own, and they are loud enough to outdo most home theater systems. Please stop commenting on how inadequate your experience with speakers really is.
Most home theater systems can fill a room with sound with just two speakers. If you need your rear speakers to fill your room with sound then I consider your system to be inadequate.

On the analog vs digital thing, you totally missed my fucking point. If the original signal is analog, then using a digital signal is only losing information. If the the original signal is digital, as it often is now, it makes a rat's ass bit of difference which one you use.
The original signal is always analog when dealing with sound. However, the moment the sound hits the ADC of a sound card that signal is digital. A sound card is not going to run a DAC to an ADC just to get the digital output. In other words, all computer audio is digital(find me a computer audio storage system that stores sound in an analog fashion). I didn't miss your point; you never had a point.

The idea I was TRYING to get across is that the way Klipsch reasoning in not having digital inputs is that since sound is inherently analog, making it digital doesn't improve anything.

Done.
okay.

edit: sorry this was such a quick message. My girlfriend was really hungry earlier and wanted to go eat.
 
Okay, enough with the bickering.

Klipsch computer speakers are nice "in their price point".

Yes I have the promedia 5.1's and they suit my computer needs just fine, but they do not hold a candle to my Paradigm reference hometheater system. So yes the klisch are good "in their price range".

Back on topic, I still would suggest a 2.1 system. Preferably one with a chaintec AV710 sound card, and digital out. Why? The conversion is only done 1 time on the computer. not ADC DAC issues, and you can get a cheaper sound card and spend the money where it really counts on the speakers.
 
jpmkm said:
edit: sorry this was such a quick message. My girlfriend was really hungry earlier and wanted to go eat.

Shit, my g/f eats like crazy. She easily eats twice the food in one day that I do. I have to feed that girl about every 2 hours some nights, I'm not shitting you. Before the fat jokes roll in, she's 130ish, 5'11 =]
 
I looked up that set and found that extremetech gave it a pretty decent review, but if I were you, I'd trawl the net for some other reviews. I'm just a little leery of 5.1 systems for less than about 200$, too many compromises to make to hit the price.
 
ok, in australia here, the options i am considering

Megaworks 550 - 320 - i was told and read that they have great SQ

z680s - 450 - bassheads.

MX5021 - 260 - superb SQ but weak bass ?

Chaintech AV710 - 100odd - best value for money, this is like a 99% cert buy for me

A2ZS - 180odd - i would rather get music quality and forgo gaming performance

Revo - 200odd - i would consider this card only if it is that much better than the AV710

for the AV710 and Revo, whichever has better gaming support / performance will also influence my decision.

And for the last time, i listen to music pretty much ALL the time but i also game a heap. I am not going to buy two soundcards and i am not an audiophile and do not want to buy anything else like an amp or receiver or whatever. I just want good value for money music quality that beats the crap out of my Audigy DE software flashed to A2 and Boston Acoustic BA735 Speakers.

thanks heaps
Nick
 
Don't upgrade your soundcard. Upgrade your speakers. I don't think the Chaintech or Revo will enhance your gaming experience. That price (in relation to the Revo) also seems a little rich to my taste.
 
naw ill def be upgrading my card for music. Actually, can i run the Audigy DE and the AV710 / Revo in the comp together ? eg. when doing anything with gaming - audigy whereas when anything else - av710/revo

ta
Nick
 
i dunno i am sure 2.1 is a good deal. But i got the klipsh 5.1 promedia and wow..they are awesome. They cost me like 300 bucks yeah but i was younger and in highschool..had no things to pay monthly for..just entertainment..and this was a great investment...its been like 3 years and they are still kicking!
 
[H]ardwareNick said:
naw ill def be upgrading my card for music. Actually, can i run the Audigy DE and the AV710 / Revo in the comp together ? eg. when doing anything with gaming - audigy whereas when anything else - av710/revo

Yea, you can run both cards together. Just remember, you'll have to figure out a way to hook up your speakers to both cards also. If you have a receiver, this will be easy as switching what input you are using, but if you have just PC speakers, you'll need to buy a speaker switch, of manually change the cables every time.

Just something to consider.
 
I am also in Australia, looking for a decent set of speakers. I'll be primarily using it for Gaming and Music. Maybe a bit of both at the same time. Especially with D3 here, and HL2 lingering on the horizon.

Up until I read this thread, I was taking a serious consideration of getting 5.1. Had I not read this thread I probably would have proceeded none-the-wiser. But I have realised that I dont exactly have the room to facilitate 5.1 speakers, i.e.I would be hard pressed to get the rear speakers behind me given the room i have to work with. So I figured that I would look into 2.1s as well, if it meant I could get more bang for my buck.

I've looked around all the local computer websites, and it seems that none of them carry the Klipsch brand. I only really want to spend around AUS$100-200 (US$75-150). So i was wondering if either - anyone in Sydney could recommend a place to get speakers previously mentioned; or can suggest a decent pair of speakers from Altec/Logitech/etc. around that price range. Both 5.1 and 2.1 alike. Since I will be using them for gaming a lot so perhaps the 5.1 can provide some level of surround sound? Or alternatively I could maybe get better bass with 2.1 at the same price range?

Cheers
 
Get a 2.1 system. Most CDs are encoded in Stereo.
Only use a 5.1 setup if you want surround in DVDs or Games.
 
Back
Top