• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

5.1 for gaming?

Rossi~

2[H]4U
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
3,479
So i thought i'd post this here instead of games because you generally guys know you're stuff and have the setups.

Asus Xonar Essence STX
Onkyo TX-SR307
Cerwin Vega! VE-5m
Cerwin Vega! VE-8f
Gale Storm sub (Soon to be replaced with a better down firing sub)

My setup (below (Sorry not the best pics, small room and generic snappy camera)) is primarily for music and music production but also games (probably 50%/25%/25%). I use the VE8's only for music and the VE5's + Sub for games and music production and also headphones (Sennheiser HD595 / HD25-1 II / HD-25 SP II) which is brilliant and i'm happy with. However, i could rearrange the setup and get a center speaker for 5.1 easily, can switch to digital out when playing games and switch back to analogue out for 2.0 music.
The main question is: Is it worth £115 + effort rearranging the setup for a more immersive gaming experience? I've never used 5.1 for gaming before and would like other's opinions as i'm sure a few of you have had the same sort of situation.

Any idea's/suggestions/views appreciated.

1.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

P1020486.jpg
 
I really, really enjoy 5.1 gaming. For me, there's no going back to stereo.
 
The best part is positional audio. In first person shooter games you benefit from knowledge of where people are with out looking around. Most other games you can get interesting environmental effects.
For me it would not be worth the effort, I do not play FPS games much on the pc.
 
After spending a few hours playing Black Ops and MW2 last night using the current setup and also headphones now and then, I think i may pass on this. I don't think i spend enough time playing games that i will benefit from it. If i were to be in a clan or something then yes but the VE-5c is around £100, which i could put towards a the new sub.
 
I personally dont think 5.1 is worth the effort. Its hard to set up 5.1 so it sounds better than a good stereo set up, and I find a good set of headphones more immersive anyway (I love my HD650s for gaming). If you care a lot about positional audio then yeah go for 5.1, but I reckon that's a bit over rated anyway unless you're gaming professionally or something. Headphones/stereo still gives you a bit of directionality to the sound, 5.1 just exaggerates it a bit more.
 
Are most games still designed with stereo in mind while surround sound is an afterthought?
 
Are most games still designed with stereo in mind while surround sound is an afterthought?

No, most games fully support surround sound. It isn't hard, since all the positional data is there anyhow and most of the libraries support it. It is also more popular since consoles are often hooked up to surround sound systems these days.

I can't think of a new game that doesn't support surround sound off the top of my head. Most are quite nice. Bad Company 2 is great.
 
Most games are designed with 5.1, I also can't really think of a modern game that doesn't support it.
I think im on the same wavelength as tudz on this, Headphones give some direction to the sound, especially with the Dolby headphone crap on. I may stick with that unless I come across some more money randomly.
 
Back
Top