5.1 Analog

Sphere

2[H]4U
Hi everyone,

I've been running my Prelude (optical) to an HK AVR 254, which is connected to 5.1 set-up.

For certain situations, I'd like the option of running 5.1 analog, for the surround modes.

I know where the jacks are on the back of the receiver, but am unsure which jack to run it off the prelude.

prelude_09l.jpg

hk254rpwl9.jpg

Any thoughts appreciated,

Thanks.

what is it you need from the analog connection?

as far as which jacks to use (You'll need three), you'll connect your 3.5mm TRS to stereo RCA adapters to:
Front
Center/Subwoofer
and either Back Surround or Side Surround (probably Side Surround)

Did that, doesn't work correctly. On the card, the center and sub are on the same jack. When plugging in that way, I get either the center or the sub. They will not work at the same time.

I want movie and game surround modes.

Did that, doesn't work correctly. On the card, the center and sub are on the same jack. When plugging in that way, I get either the center or the sub. They will not work at the same time.

I want movie and game surround modes.

you'll need a proper stereo TRS to stereo RCA, I don't know which "channel" is which (if white is sub or center), and then connect that to your receiver's inputs

and what "movie and game surround modes"? (I have the same card, so I'm trying to figure out what you want to turn on/do, as I have a very similar setup to you, I apologize if my questions seem redundant)

No problem, The receiver has many different surround modes in analog listed below.

Full suite of Dolby surround decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Pro Logic® IIx (Movie, Music and Game modes) surround sound

Logic 7 Movie, Music and Game surround sound processing in 5.1 and 7.1 channels

Five- and seven-channel Stereo surround modes

I can't use any of these while using a digital connection, hence the need to find out how to run analog when I feel the need for different applications.

Edit: I do have the proper cable. When both ends are plugged into the receiver, either the sub or center will work, not both. This is the same situation when I reverse them.

No problem, The receiver has many different surround modes in analog listed below.

Full suite of Dolby surround decoding, including Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital Plus

Dolby Pro Logic® IIx (Movie, Music and Game modes) surround sound

Logic 7 Movie, Music and Game surround sound processing in 5.1 and 7.1 channels

Five- and seven-channel Stereo surround modes

I can't use any of these while using a digital connection, hence the need to find out how to run analog when I feel the need for different applications.

Edit: I do have the proper cable. When both ends are plugged into the receiver, either the sub or center will work, not both. This is the same situation when I reverse them.

the receiver should do surround modes with a surround sound digital signal, do you have DDL enabled in your X-Fi's control panel? (my friend has the AVR-154, which is quite similar, and it will do variations on those modes with a DVD player/Xbox/etc plugged into it, feeding a 5.1 signal)

Auzner, I double checked and hooked it up that way again, still the same result as last time. Eithercenter or sub, it will not do both regardless of how they are hooked up.

obobski-I have DDL enabled. If running digital you will not get those surrounds. You will get DD and that's all. The other surround mods are Analog and will not be available for said reason.

That came from the HK engineer who my call was escalated to earlier today. It's the same on my HK 247 as well.

Then some troubleshooting must be done. The cable or jack on the card could be loose/bad. The cable could have a short in it. You say when you plug in both none of them work, only one or the other. When the receiver is set to multich input mode that's that and there's not much to change, so that part should be fine. Then it is up to your sound card to getting all speakers used from whatever number of channel sources. Your sound card is delivering everything it seems like it's the trs to rca adapter with a short in it.

Thanks Auzner , I switched the cables around earlier, and they all work.

I'm wondering if the issues the center and sub are located on one jack on the card, and split into two on the receiver. This also is the same on my HK 247. They both do the same when connected the way you have it illustrated.

It's not an issue, that's the way it's always been done. My Audigy 1 has cen/sub on the same jack. For 5.1 analog I can use triple stereo trs to L/R RCA. Every receiver's multichannel input will have one RCA jack for each channel. For 6 channels you're using triple stereo, for 8 quadruple stereo. Front L/R same jack, Surr L/R same jack, Rear L/R same jack.

obobski-I have DDL enabled. If running digital you will not get those surrounds. You will get DD and that's all. The other surround mods are Analog and will not be available for said reason.

That came from the HK engineer who my call was escalated to earlier today. It's the same on my HK 247 as well.

stupidest. design. ever.

and I'm really shocked that I can actually enable Logic 7 on the 154 with a DVD playing, and you can't do the exact same thing on the more expensive model :eek:

sounds like everything is working though, so thats always good :)
sorry I couldn't be of more help

Well, I'm stumped for the time being guy's. I'll take another look at it tomorrow with fresh eyes and a clear head and have at it again.

Thanks guy's.

Back