5.1 analog question.

FinalAura

[H]ard|Gawd
Well, this is probably an easy question to answer, but i've been wondering this for a while. I don't have a receiver or anything, I just want to learn more, since i'm an audio noob.

How would one get 5.1 surround sound using an analog connection from a pc sound card to a receiver? To my knowledge, you would have to use 3 rca to 3.5mm jack converter cables, 1xfront, 1xrear, 1xcenter , but aren't receivers only able to receive 2 rca inputs per setting? So, only 2.0/2.1 sound would be available? For example "cd in" or "dvd in" as displayed here:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_3/images/harman-kardon-avr-340-receiver-rear-panel-large.jpg

only has connections for 1 of the converter cables cables (two rca inputs, L and R).

Is the only way to go digital, or is there some other kind of cable i'm missing?

Thanks for the insight.

harman-kardon-avr-340-receiver-rear-panel-large.jpg

The area I highlighted can be assigned to any input for analog surround sound.

it's a feature - any given receiver may or may not have it. many will.

on the PC side, yes, you end up with 3x 3.5mm -> 2x RCA converters On my setup, I use a pair of 3x RCA cables (original purpose was l/r/composite video - 3 identical conductors) from the 3.5mm/rca converters to the amp

Back