5 1/4 Bay for Laptop HDD/DVD

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
I seem to remember someone once did a mod using an internal 5 1/4 bay for their tower that could hold both a 2.5 Latptop HDD, and a slimline laptop dvd player..

Does anyone else remember this or know what I'm talking about? Better yet, where I can buy one?

Thanks!

Those are both great leads!

I found this one as well:
http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=SLIMCDFDCAGE&c=US

A bit of background. Am looking into getting the Asus "eee" laptop, and was coming up for a small external enclosure with a dvd player and hdd in the smallest form possible.

There are a few external pre-mades out there but are designed for 5 1/4 cd drives and normal 3.5 HDD's, which looks to be rather large.. So i'm seeing if I can come up with my own design!

Those are both great leads!

I found this one as well:
http://www.startech.com/Product/ItemDetail.aspx?productid=SLIMCDFDCAGE&c=US

A bit of background. Am looking into getting the Asus "eee" laptop, and was coming up for a small external enclosure with a dvd player and hdd in the smallest form possible.

There are a few external pre-mades out there but are designed for 5 1/4 cd drives and normal 3.5 HDD's, which looks to be rather large.. So i'm seeing if I can come up with my own design!

that actually sounds like an excellent idea... you could get a small 5 1/4" enclosure and put a dvd writer and a laptop hdd in one package... if you wanted to get really clever you could make an internal battery for your device

that actually sounds like an excellent idea... you could get a small 5 1/4" enclosure and put a dvd writer and a laptop hdd in one package... if you wanted to get really clever you could make an internal battery for your device

I think for now I will forgo the battery.

I'll be moving back to California for like 6 months to take some classes (pre-MBA stuff) and wanted a computer I could use easily to do the basics and take notes on. Thats where the EEE comes in.

I'm sure at the same time I will want something to watch movies (Netflix), save school work/documents, music backup for my ipod, room to store pictures I take etc.. so it will be a simple "docking station" for the EEE at my apartment. Most likely hooked through a powered USB Hub

Back