4xxx Price drop

SavageThrash

Limp Gawd
So with the Upcoming sept 10th date do you guys think well see any further price drops on the 4xxx series? I know you can grab 4890s cheap at 200Cad or so but do any of y'all expect a sub 175 4980?

Nope... everywhere I normal shop is keeping enough stock on hand for day to day sales. So likely they would move over new cards as soon as they are on the market.

The rumour is of course that ATI plans on having a solution for every price point so I can't even see a situation like we have with the nvidia 9 series filling in the "gaps" left by the 200 series.

I doubt it.

Inital cards will most likely be high end. Therefore, they will be priced higher than the HD 4890. Prices will not decrease on current HD 4xxx cards until mainstream HD 5xxx starts hitting the market.

I doubt it.

Inital cards will most likely be high end. Therefore, they will be priced higher than the HD 4890. Prices will not decrease on current HD 4xxx cards until mainstream HD 5xxx starts hitting the market.
"Supposedly" the HD5xxx series is supposed to be launching bottom to top DX11 support. From $50 cards all the way up to enthusiast X2 cards.

I know historically they hit only one market first with a new gen technology. But there's a first time for everything *shrug*

Yes, but the rule of thumb is that as soon as something new comes out the "old" tech becomes worthless. Games that could previously be played suddenly become unplayable wreck's.

Yes, but the rule of thumb is that as soon as something new comes out the "old" tech becomes worthless. Games that could previously be played suddenly become unplayable wreck's.

Not true, the 8800gtx can still play today's games pretty nicely, and that card is what...2-3 years old or something.

Not true, the 8800gtx can still play today's games pretty nicely, and that card is what...2-3 years old or something.
Launched 2H2006, it's now 2H2009. So yup.
I only mention that, as that is when I build my current rig. I'm still relatively happy with performance. With the exception of Crysis, I've been able to play everything I've loaded at 1920res, not with the highest level of detail, but adequate eye candy and still quite pleased.

x2...looking forward to picking up an HD 4890 or GTX 285 OC version for my backup rig ;)

I seriosly doubt that we will see any more significant price drops on the existing ATI 4xxx card line. Maybe another $10 of on HD 4890s and 4870s but thats about it. Where you should really see a price drop though is the Nvidias overpriced GTX 285s and GTX 295s. Id be amazed if those cards didnt drop at least $50 overnight after the DX11 unveiling by ATI.

Back