• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4x7970 water cooling?

Joined
Nov 28, 2013
Messages
1
Hi I am building a mining rig,

it is an open rig design (no case)

running 4x xfx7970s,

nex1500watt gold certified,

Intel Core i7 3820 Quad Core 10MB 3.6GHZ Hyperthreading LGA2011

Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 ATX LGA2011 X79 DDR3 4PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 PCI SLI SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard


What should I do about water cooling?

I am thinking of buying these for the gpu's:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Cooli...36348?pt=US_Water_Cooling&hash=item58a34e3f9c

but what should I look for with regards to:
-pump speed
-reservoir
-radiator

thanks!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks like your planning on doing some mining. I know I'm not really answering your question but why water cooling? are they running too hot? too loud?

Watercooling will significantly improve both but it's going to be expensive for four cards.

Here's a thread about someone who watercooled 4 7970's. He went all out but just might want to see what you would need.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1734019

In any case, good luck :)
 
I am a fan of the Heatkiller waterblocks myself. I think they look sharp and you can get a nice adapter for them. EK has a bad taste in my mouth from their nickel plating fiasco a few years ago, but they are probably fine now.

This is what I use on my 7970s:

GPU Water Block I have the copper version:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/wahegp79fora.html

Backplate:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/wahegpuba791.html


If you are getting more then one card I highly recommend getting the SLI/Crossfire manifold that is compatible with your water blocks. Makes installing them MUCH easier then trying to route tubing or piping between each one. For example:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/gpmuslibrfor.html

I know I might get heat for this, but you might be okay with a 120.4 radiator for four graphics cards if you keep the fans up past medium speed. The cards can tolerate higher temps - if they all run at 60 - 65 °C who cares. Just watch the temperature on your water - my current pump is rated to 50 °C and the water will probably be around 40 °C or so with four video cards at full load (tubing might not be rated all that high either). To be safe you can throw another 120.1 - 120.2 in there. Are you going to overclock them?

Graphic card water blocks traditionally do not have a lot of flow restriction to them so one pump should be fine. Keep flow rate > 0.75 - 1.0 GPM. Personally I think pump redundancy is needed with that much hardware so I bought a Swiftech MCP35x2 pump and the associated heatsink with it. Keep the pumps below 3 liters/min and they are quiet as can be.

Currently I don't use a reservoir in my loop, just a t-line to fill it. I have had issues with finding space for one in the past. A nice and small one is the Swiftech Micro Res which gives you a lot of mounting options. A reservoir does not need to be that big either, you don't lose water that fast in the loop and it really helps when getting air out.

Scythe GT1850 Gentle Typhoon fans are great for radiators.

Quick disconnects are effing fantastic. I have them around my pump and graphics cards / CPU. Saves on the pain down the road if something fails and you don't have to drain the loop to replace it.
 
Last edited:
As long as you have internet and power it shouldn't be a problem to keep you rig in the basement. I wouldn't recommend a closet just because your radiator will need to breath to keep the gpu's nice and cool.

That's a really nice open air case but if you have your rig setup for watercooling why the open air case?
 
I meant the open air case as an alternative to watercooling. It was a suggestion to save $750 or so.
 
Having a basement solves a lot of ugly computer problems! :) Well, ugly and noisy problems.
 
I might be a little late to the party but has anyone ever heard of syscool making quality products? I went to their website and it was in broken english so I was a bit skeptical. If the OP is still considering those it seems kind of risky to spend so much on hardware and use what appear to be cheap water blocks
 
Back
Top