4x4 or 2x8 ddr4, upgrading

a3venom

Gawd
I already have 2x4 2800 Mhz G Skill Ripjaws 4 on my Z170m Plus.
Any harm in getting 2 more sticks of 4GB (not the same brand probably) @ 2800mhz or is there a strong reason to get new 2x8s and try to sell my current 2x4s?

I read somewhere it can affect my CPU overclock (more stress on memory controller?), I have an i5 6400 @ 4.7 don't wanna mess with that.

I would get a 2x8 set. Maybe keep the 2x4 set around for backup purposes.

Mixing RAM brands can also affect overclock and even stability at stock speeds. There are more than just the voltage, speed and main timings.

When you mix RAM brands/models and even in some cases, the same model but different runs will have different chips and thus usually different sub-timings.

When you get into that type of setup, you will get very lucky to find unmatched RAM that will work together as well as matched sticks will work together.

I would get 2x8gb myself. As above poster mentioned different memory IC's, PCB's, EPROM's/programming can effect stability in multi dimm systems. If I run full slots I'll either buy 4 sticks at a time, or if I add them later it's a crapshoot and taken as such. You could buy 2x8gb of Gskill Ripjaw 4 and see if u could run all 4 sticks together. If not you'd still have the 2x8gb dimms :).

2x8. Mixing Ram brands isn't as much of a problem, as long as all the JEDEC/XPM settings are the same (latency, speed, etc). Only in *very* rare instances will mixing brands with exact same specs cause adverse issues. Hell, RAM modules installed in most enterprise workstations and servers are typically a hodge-podge variety of brands (even in the same banks), and those are some of the most mission-critical systems on the planet.

Yeah unless there is a specific benefit or feature for running 4 sticks/quad then stick with two for the reliability. I'm X99 so went with quad...for the 1% boost.

I did run 8 sticks for a year or two but that was 8x2GB DDR2 ECC. Toasty as the word. Never again.

2x8 will technically be more stable compared to 4x4

That hasn't been my experience. The better boards are designed to eliminate some of the potential issues that go along with running four modules. That said, it may vary by individual IMC in each CPU. I've done plenty of tests at DDR4 3600MHz+ speeds with 4x modules installed on Z170 and Z270 motherboards. It works fine. However, I will always choose a 2x8 setup over a 4x4 setup for future expansion.

if Quad channel then it would be ideal to use 4x4. Since the chipset is dual channel you are all set to use 2x8!

I have mixed and matched ram many times and many ways.

So long as you make sure the slowest stick is in slot one (or whichever is read by the motherboard to set speed and timing) things will generally be ok at stock speeds.

If you want to over clock or push anything beyond spec please see above. More DIMMS creates more noise on the buss and more heat to deal with.

Some motherboards, some CPU's are pickier then others. It is always good to do your research first.

Back