Hello everyone.
Well, this is a strange question I have, but thought I'd ask here. I hear that a lot of times RAM won't register what the manufacturer states when you boot for the first time. This means you have to over clock right?
From my readings yes. Say the timings are 5-5-5-15. Hmmm, but Newegg said 4-4-4-4-12. Well, we then change the RAM settings in the BIOs and, presto, no problem.
This is my understanding so far, lets pause and reflect on it, and take the time to think "NO RETARD and progress to write how foolish I am"
.
..
...
....
...
..
.
Ok. Now that we got that out of the way, here is my question. This my first build, and thus want to it to go smoothly. I want this EVGA board because a lot of friends of mine, both gamers and designers, love it:http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813188013
Now, I want to get 4gb of RAM just to be ahead of the curve. Here is the trick though. I am buying 2 packs of this brand. I have heard that if you have multiple chips, they should be the closest to the same timings/speed/brand...ect:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231087
Now. With this in place, what would be the best option in your opinion?
1. Boot with 2gb first to make sure it goes safe. When it is set, then stick in the other sticks.
2. Boot with all 4gb in there
Now in the case the timings are off:
1. Boot with all 4, adjust and prey
2. Boot 2 at a time, set timing, go back and rest other timings, pop chips in, presto!
I am very curious as to how this is done, because most people seem to have 2 sticks. However, if my board can handle 4 chips, and 2 sets of 2gb is cheaper than a set of 4gb, why not?
This is tricky, so thank you everyone for your help,
Andrew
Well, this is a strange question I have, but thought I'd ask here. I hear that a lot of times RAM won't register what the manufacturer states when you boot for the first time. This means you have to over clock right?
From my readings yes. Say the timings are 5-5-5-15. Hmmm, but Newegg said 4-4-4-4-12. Well, we then change the RAM settings in the BIOs and, presto, no problem.
This is my understanding so far, lets pause and reflect on it, and take the time to think "NO RETARD and progress to write how foolish I am"
.
..
...
....
...
..
.
Ok. Now that we got that out of the way, here is my question. This my first build, and thus want to it to go smoothly. I want this EVGA board because a lot of friends of mine, both gamers and designers, love it:http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16813188013
Now, I want to get 4gb of RAM just to be ahead of the curve. Here is the trick though. I am buying 2 packs of this brand. I have heard that if you have multiple chips, they should be the closest to the same timings/speed/brand...ect:
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231087
Now. With this in place, what would be the best option in your opinion?
1. Boot with 2gb first to make sure it goes safe. When it is set, then stick in the other sticks.
2. Boot with all 4gb in there
Now in the case the timings are off:
1. Boot with all 4, adjust and prey
2. Boot 2 at a time, set timing, go back and rest other timings, pop chips in, presto!
I am very curious as to how this is done, because most people seem to have 2 sticks. However, if my board can handle 4 chips, and 2 sets of 2gb is cheaper than a set of 4gb, why not?
This is tricky, so thank you everyone for your help,
Andrew