• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4x AGP vs 8x AGP?

Matrox462

Gawd
Joined
Feb 25, 2004
Messages
926
I'm planning on upgrading my video card sometime around the end of the year. And well, I'm worried I won't get as good of performance as I'm hoping to achieve since my motherboard only supports 4x AGP. Right now I have a GeForce4 MX420 with 32MB DDR running at 4x, and I get decent frame rates for the newest games... UT2004 gets around 20-30fps at 1024x768 with all the settings at around 'high'. I know games like Doom3 and HL2 will both run pretty slow... but that's why I'm planning on upgrading. I want to run all my games at 1280x1024, like I can with Quake 3 and get a solid 60fps! Anyways, my question is if a new-gen card runs at only 4x, will performance be seriously hindered? Or just a little? I'm not even a 100% sure if its only 4x, and I might be able to do 8x, but I doubt it, I'll have to look it up.
 
You can run almost any AGP card at 4x, up to and including the 9800 XT. (I haven't heard anything about the X800 or 6800 Series, I'm sure someone else can vouch for them.) Since AGP cards are barely utilizing all the bandwidth available at 4x AGP speed, you will only see 2 or 3 FPS in decrease from 4x to 8x, so you should be fine buying a high-end card and running it at 4x until you can upgrade to an 8x AGP or PCI-E motherboard.
 
Most cards support both 8x and 4x but just check the box or information about a card just to be sure before you get it.
 
Most of the AGP 8x cards support 4x as well, I personally don't know of any that don't, but I haven't thought about it either.
 
[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
You can run almost any AGP card at 4x, up to and including the 9800 XT. (I haven't heard anything about the X800 or 6800 Series, I'm sure someone else can vouch for them.) Since AGP cards are barely utilizing all the bandwidth available at 4x AGP speed, you will only see 2 or 3 FPS in decrease from 4x to 8x, so you should be fine buying a high-end card and running it at 4x until you can upgrade to an 8x AGP or PCI-E motherboard.

Great! I'm glad to hear I'll still be getting good performance when using 4x. Thanks for the helpful responce!
 
Xipher said:
Most of the AGP 8x cards support 4x as well, I personally don't know of any that don't, but I haven't thought about it either.

Yea, I believe with the AGP standard, it's all made to be back-wards compatible. So, in theory all 8x cards *should* run fine on 4x, just at the lower bandwidth. I just wanted to make sure that it would still run decent at 4x, though.
 
Back
Top