4th gen Ipod color SADFACE :(

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
My ipod suddenly started freezing. Then a few days later it went to listen to music and there were 0 songs on it...so I restarted it and now there's a sadface. Is there anything I can do? The hard drive doesn't make a sound when it's turned on and it holds a decent charge...so I'm assuming it's the hard drive?

I had a similar problem after leaving my iPod in a car for 4 days in sub-zero temps. It's usually either a problem with the logicboard dying, or the ZIF drive inside the iPod. If it's still under warranty, bring it to Apple and they'll replace it. Otherwise, you're pretty much done for. I had like 5 of my iPods all die that way. The first 4 were replaced under warranty, the last was out of Warranty though, so I bought an Archos and now I don't have problems.

Mine did that (iPod Video 30GB) and it was toast. I also could feel the HDD clicking inside. It was well past warranty, so I just bought a new one (iPod Classic 80GB). Such is the way with hard drives. Of course, mine got SOAKED in water when my bathroom got flooded out, but it survived for awhile after. Unsure if that was the cause, or if it was just it's time to die...

If it's not dead then the logic board has a short somewhere. I had it happen when I disassembled my old 1G Nano.

There are plenty of places that will diagnose the problem with your iPod and roll that diagnosis fee into the repair cost. Just check Google for iPod repair.

If you really love your iPod, you can probably upgrade the hard drive to something much larger. If not, there are plenty of folks selling much more functional iPod for not very much money.

There are plenty of places that will diagnose the problem with your iPod and roll that diagnosis fee into the repair cost. Just check Google for iPod repair.

If you really love your iPod, you can probably upgrade the hard drive to something much larger. If not, there are plenty of folks selling much more functional iPod for not very much money.

Where can I get this free diagnosis?

Where are these ipods for "not very much money"? Are refurbished Ipods from Apple a safe way to go??

Open it up and push the hard drive cable into the hard drive, it could be loose.

Where can I get this free diagnosis?

Where are these ipods for "not very much money"? Are refurbished Ipods from Apple a safe way to go??

I never said "free." I said some of them will roll the diagnosis charge into the cost of repair. If you choose not to have them repair it, they'll charge you for the diagnosis. Simple as that.

As for finding those places, hang on a sec... Let me Google that for you. I know working teh intarwebs can be tough.

Where are iPods for not very much? Check the [H]ard|Forum For Sale/Trade section. Or Ebay. Or Apple's refurb store. Many places.

Back