4TB Internal HDD advice

ParkyRFC

n00b
Hi folks, I'm looking to purchase a new drive.

The drive would be replacing a Samsung HD103SJ 1TB seen in the link below:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002MQC0P8/ref=oh_details_o08_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The drive has been impecable but I just need more storage. After a little research I'm leaning towards the HGST Deskstar NAS, seen below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HGST-H3IK40...=1403631945&sr=8-2&keywords=HGST+Deskstar+4TB

First of all, excuse my ignorance but would this drive be compatable with my Sabertooth Z77 motherboard?

Motherboard seen here: http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Pro...re=ASUS_SABERTOOTH_Z77-_-13-131-821-_-Product

How easy would this be to install and is there any useful guides that could stand me in good stead?

Any help would be much appreciated!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yes that drive is compatible with any SATA III system. When you partition it in DiskManager make sure you select GPT partitions.

When you get a disk larger than 2.2 TB, you need to set it up as GPT. If it's a data drive and not a boot drive, it's easy:
Search for "Disk Management", run it as an administrator.
If there are any partitions on the new drive, delete them (all data will be lost).
Right-click on the "Disk #" box on the left side of the Disk Management Window, and select "Convert to GPT Disk"
Create a new primary partition using the Wizard. You should leave the settings you don't know about at default.

If you choose to do a non-quick format on the drive to check that every sector is good, it will take about 10 hours. You should use a SMART utility like GSmartControl before and after doing a non-quick format to see if the format reallocates any sectors.

If you want to boot from the drive, that's a bit more complicated; let us know which OS you would run on it if you want to do that.

HGST NAS drives are reportedly excellent. I have a pair of WD Reds. I've only had them a few months, but so far so good. I might get another pair, or a pair of HGST NAS drives to go with them in the future.

If you use it on windows make sure your OS is up to date, and upgrade your motherboard drivers if necessary.

Windows XP doesn't support GPT so beware.

If you use it on windows make sure your OS is up to date, and upgrade your motherboard drivers if necessary.

Windows XP doesn't support GPT so beware.

Thanks for the advice, I'm running windows 7.

I recently purchased a pair of the 3TB HGST NAS drives for file storage (using SSD for boot drive) and I am very pleased with them. They live in my tower in a non-NAS environment.

I followed the same steps as evilsofa's noted above (first time using drives larger than 2.2TB, so GPT was new territory for me) and everything worked great.

You might also be interested to consider HGST Ultrastar over the Desktar.

Just got around to installing the drive, I was surprised not to find another sata connection so I had to use the cable from the drive which was full. I've orderd another cable to connect the full drive back up at a later date. Apart from that everything went smooth. Thanks for the help guys!

Back