4TB drive partition issues

Rix2357

[H]ard|Gawd
Can I get some help in moving a 4TB drive over from a USB 3.0 connection to a esata connection?

I bought a 4TB external drive partitioned it as one big partition using the USB 3.0 connection.
Under Disk Management and Minitool Partition Wizard Home Edition it shows up as
126MB Unallocated | 3725.9GB NTFS Healthy (Primary Partition)

Now I want to move that drive to an esata adaptor that I have. I'm having trouble with the computer recognizing the old partition structure when I turned off the drives and just moved it over.

Using the esata bridge, it shows up as the following partitions
Under Disk Management
16MB Unallocated | 465.74GB Healthy (Primary Partition) | 1582.25 Unallocated | 1678.02 Unallocated

using Minitool Parittion Wizard Home Edition it shows up as
16MB Unallocated | 465.7GB Unformatted | 3260.3GB Unallocated

Any help would be appreciated. I would rather not reformat the drive and I don't have another spare 4TB drive to just copy things over to.

Some drives when they come in externals report 4096 byte logical & physical sectors however when you pull them out of the external they report 512 byte sectors logical / 4096 byte physical. This will cause the partition table to be wrong since all the sector counts now would need to be multiplied by 8.

If it is really the 512/4096 issue, you should be able to fix this by partitioning the drive while in the external enclosure. Be careful, you can destroy all data on the drive if your OS uses another sector size than what was used when the drive was formatted.

Another possibility would be that one of your controllers/drivers does not probably support drives larger than 2 TB.

If it is really the 512/4096 issue, you should be able to fix this by partitioning the drive while in the external enclosure.

It looks that way to me.

465.7GB * 8 = 3725.6GB

Be careful, you can destroy all data on the drive if your OS uses another sector size than what was used when the drive was formatted.

I was going to suggest that however I assume the OP wanted to keep data on the drive and I do not know of a good way to do so that does not require a second hard drive to move the data to and back.

The drive is partitioned and working correctly while on the USB enclosure adaptors.

It's when I move the drive over that Win 7 64 that all the weird partitioning issues arise. Is there a way I can tell the drive to behave with a 4096 block size when I attach it using the esata port? I'm counting on then using some sort of partition recovery software to get it to work.

Back