? 4proc system w/ 1failed

musicman_ace

Limp Gawd
Ok, I got handed a retired server. Its a quad 550Mhz so its isn't insanely grand, but I can now play with SMP. The problem is one of them is failed. The POST screen asks me if I want to continue. It will boot my install CD, but I powered it off cause I wanted to ask a couple questions.

1. Can I run it with a failed processor in socket 3 until I get a fourth?
2. Can I remove the failed processor and just run 3, without installing a 4th?

I was planning on checking ebay and the like to find a 4th, but if anyone has other suggestions, I'm open.

THanks

Well, I've never run into a situation like that before. I know older smp systems used to come in 2, 4, 6(ppro) varieties. The old slot one systems required a terminator if you didn't have all slots filled. Really, there's only one way to find out. I'm very confident you can't damage anything testing. Most you'd run into is it won't post/run and stability issues.

defakto said:
Well, I've never run into a situation like that before. I know older smp systems used to come in 2, 4, 6(ppro) varieties. The old slot one systems required a terminator if you didn't have all slots filled. Really, there's only one way to find out. I'm very confident you can't damage anything testing. Most you'd run into is it won't post/run and stability issues.

Agreed.

Ooo, and post in here your results if you do test. I'd like to file that tidbit of knowledge away for future situations.

Won't hurt anything if you try it. Probably will end up with system unstable'ness at the worst, like THG did when they combined a single core and dual core Opty.

My friend had a quad PPro Proliant that would 'fail' all 4 processors, but run without any issues. 'Twas a quirky box.
Some of the old Xeon-based Proliants could 'fail' a processor as well until you ran SmartStart and re-enabled it.
If you do pull the chip, you may need a Slot2 terminator in it's place for the machine to startup/run reliably.

I ran an old Intel reference board with 3 procs and a terminator while I was trying to find a fourh on eBay. It went like that for three months or so, no problem.

Back