4pin Or 8pin Power Connections To Motherboard

sitalchauhan

Limp Gawd
On the PSU there is an 8pin rectangular connection and a 4pin square power connection.

On the Asus P5K there is an 8pin rectangular power connection in the top-left of the board. However, 4 of the pins are covered by a plastic cap leaving only the 4 pins in the square arrangement (the plastic cap can be removed),

Am I supposed to remove the plastic cap and insert the 8pin connection?

Or am I supposed to leave the plastic cap in place and only plug in the square 4pin connection?

Here is a picture showing both the 4pin and 8pin power connections that I am referring to:
http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2006/11/23201638654l.jpg

(I think they are called the P4-12v (4-pin) and EPS12v (8-pin) connections)

Thanks

Had that same 8 pin connector on my MSI P6N SLI-FI, and it did have 4 of the pins covered, I figured they did this for the peeps that don't have the 8 pin connector on their power supply so they could still use the 4 pin in the proper holes.

Popped the cap off the other 4 and plugged in the 8 pin, works fine.

Yep - it even says in the manual - pop off the cap if you have an 8 pin connector.

Thanks for the replies guys

The manual says:

* Make sure to remove the cap on the EATX12V connector before connecting an 8-pin EPS +12V power plug

* use only either a 4-pin ATX12V or an 8-pin EPS +12V power plug for the EATX12V connector

* Do not foget to connect the 4-pin/8pin EATX12V power plug; otherwise, the system will not boot

It doesnt really explain which to use if you have both available :confused:

I guess ill just remove the cap and use the 8pin connection.

What do the extra 4 pins do if the system boots fine without them?

Thanks again

The provide additional paths to your PSU to help provide extra current which helps prevent your voltages from dropping as much under load.

Back