4pin Molex connection on board???

SHiZNiLTi

Gawd
My buddy want's to know what exactly this 4 pin molex connection does on his motherboard. Is it needed if you have a SLI ready powersupply?

Should he supply power to it or leave it disconnected?

docsmobo8dm.jpg

You should plug it in if you're running an SLI configuration. It's like a crutch for the PCI-E power feed. Not really necessary in a single card configuration but plugging it in won't hurt anything either.

Unless I'm mistaken, its for the motherboard. They have become more power hungry. I think DFI just abandoned the 4 pin and went to an 8 pin connector right next to the main power connector on the mobo. I'm pretty sure you have to have it to boot to. Had he tried to boot without it?

Skolar said:
Unless I'm mistaken, its for the motherboard. They have become more power hungry. I think DFI just abandoned the 4 pin and went to an 8 pin connector right next to the main power connector on the mobo. I'm pretty sure you have to have it to boot to. Had he tried to boot without it?
This is what he said when I asked him about it... " I think its the used for the Gfx cards if your power supply isnt SLI compatable, they suppulied a jumper for it. but if your ps is SLI compatable "DONT USE IT" it will fry your gpu and PCI'e pathways. "

That can't be true because on my SLI powersupply I have it connected and have no problems at all these last 4 months.

§·H·ï·Z·N·ï·L·T·ï said:
This is what he said when I asked him about it... " I think its the used for the Gfx cards if your power supply isnt SLI compatable, they suppulied a jumper for it. but if your ps is SLI compatable "DONT USE IT" it will fry your gpu and PCI'e pathways. "

That can't be true because on my SLI powersupply I have it connected and have no problems at all these last 4 months.
Rock on man. You're totally safe. He seems to not have good information on this one.

Back