4p Power advisory

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De
Please refrain from using Molex to EPS 12v adapters on your 4p systems.

I have seen this picture and those like it too much...

molex-eps-sm.jpg

Even dual molex to 12v eps are not a good idea.
If there is absolutely no way to do an 8pin EPS from the psu directly (no Ys or splitters)...
I suggest a PCIE to EPS adapter.

Each wire is rated at about 7A, the EPS 8pin is therefore rated at 28A.
A single molex has 1 7A line... dual molex 2, pcie 3....
Trying to push 28A through a single wire is just a bad idea.

Also 4-pin Molex are typically on the same "rail" as the 24pin...so you are not really gaining anything other than a firehazard.

Skripka

[H]F Junkie
Ouchie. We need a machine that takes smoke and puts it back in the computer part it came out of, thereby fixing it.

tkam

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Dec. 2012
FYI - that particular adapter was in a 2P system - 2 x 6274 and only occured after making a change that sort of forced the CPUs to run at their all-core driven "turbo" speeds all the time. So while that does bump up the power usage (maybe 50-60W total) I was still surprised to see the melted adapter.

I have a dual molex to eps in their now till my 6-pin pci-e to eps adapter arrives.

Patriot

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - March 2011/June 2013/De
It might be me, but what is the problem :D

Not as big of a problem if its the 3rd EPS plug and not the 2nd and 3rd.
Also 2 Molex to EPS is not AS bad...

But I still recommend for safety PCIE to EPS for all non native EPS board plugs.

KMac

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - June 2012
Can anyone recommend a specific brand/model? The only one I can even find is this one.

-alias-

Limp Gawd
There should have been made possible to buy extra EPS-12V cables such the original that came with the one rail PSU. My Corsair AX 1200W comes with 2 such cables, but have 8 connectors, so to use four EPS-12 cables is no problem. I have asked the shop for extra EPS-12V, but they can not buy them from the manufactor. I thinking to buy a Corsair AX 750 just to get the extra 2 x EPS-12V.

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
Looks like I missed putting the scacrams tags on my statement. On both of my 4P setups, I use 6-pin PCIe to 8-pin EPS adapters. Basically the same ones 'tkam' posted about.

Nathan_P

[H]ard DCOTM x3
There should have been made possible to buy extra EPS-12V cables such the original that came with the one rail PSU. My Corsair AX 1200W comes with 2 such cables, but have 8 connectors, so to use four EPS-12 cables is no problem. I have asked the shop for extra EPS-12V, but they can not buy them from the manufactor. I thinking to buy a Corsair AX 750 just to get the extra 2 x EPS-12V.

Corsair do sell cable kits so you might be OK, drop them an email and see what they can do, their service is awesome

-alias-

Limp Gawd
Thanks, I will try doing that, that for sure!

Update: I did send them an e-mail, and I also find this in my local shop: http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=756994 Thanks to KMac Very expensive, about (NOK695 / 5,92) = $117.40. If there will be no answer from Corsair Customer service, this is an alternative!

Last edited:

jimh425

Gawd
I just made sure I had two connectors on the PSUs I bought. Then again, I bought the PSUs specifically for my both of my 4ps and also my 2p. Considering the cost of the other components and 7x24 nature of folding, I thought it was worth it. If you watch, you can get some very good deals on Corsair, SilverStone, and PC Power and Cooling PSUs.

firedfly

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2012

The cables from the AX750 are not compatible with AX1200. At least, there are warnings not to mix the cables.

-alias-

Limp Gawd
Thanks for warning, KMac PM me about that. And I learn that it is cheaper to buy the ekstra Sleeved Modular cables I linked to some where over here.