4P Board Recommendations

402blownstroker

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - Nov. 2012
OK, I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 4P G34 setup here. I was wondering if I could get some feedback and/or recommendations on boards? I know that Tyan and Supermicro make a couple of models, but is there anyone else, maybe Asus....

This and this are good choices I hear.
Wait for other folk to answer though, I know nearly nothing about 4P AMD.

Tyan and SuperMicro are the only games in town for 4p G34 I believe. Of the two, the SuperMicros are going to be cheaper unless you catch a Tyan open box at Newegg. The two models bwang listed are good ones. Assuming you don't need multiple pci-e slots or SAS, either is a good choice. The socket layout on the first link is a bit difficult to deal with, but not that bad. The main reason to go with SuperMicro is the potential for a small overclock that you can't do with a Tyan.

I would go with the Supermicro below. Good layout for CPUs and VRMs, and the Supermicro boards have more "control" than Tyan boards. Personally, I've always gone for the H8QGi-F variant of the board, more PCIe slots, and may have higher resale value (at nominal additional cost).

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGi-F-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10020001~0.htm

OK, I think I am going to pull the trigger on a 4P G34 setup here. I was wondering if I could get some feedback and/or recommendations on boards? I know that Tyan and Supermicro make a couple of models, but is there anyone else, maybe Asus....

I would go with the Supermicro below. Good layout for CPUs and VRMs, and the Supermicro boards have more "control" than Tyan boards. Personally, I've always gone for the H8QGi-F variant of the board, more PCIe slots, and may have higher resale value (at nominal additional cost).

http://www.wiredzone.com/Supermicro-H8QGi-F-Motherboard-SWTX-w--Quad-1944-pin-S-G34~10020001~0.htm

Definitely like the SM H8QGi-F. With the SM having more 'control', that is only tweeking the bclk in Windoze right? Anyone know how the lm_sensor support for the SM boards are?

Definitely like the SM H8QGi-F. With the SM having more 'control', that is only tweeking the bclk in Windoze right? Anyone know how the lm_sensor support for the SM boards are?

No, the tweaks are low level and not Windows.

The tweaks are clockgen manipulation, regardless of OS. If you want specifics, join the HardOCP irc channel - irc.dp.cx, channel #HardOCP

Back