4k with pixel double with 1080p?

chenw

2[H]4U
Hey all,

Are there any 4k monitors out there available that supports pixel doubling mode with 1080p resolution?

Thanks

There was a thread a week or so back, and we were getting a bit scientific about how the pixel doubling does/does not affect image quality.

We got a screenshot comparison within an audio editing software, but that's a pretty edge-case scenario (who up-scales their desktop/software?). We were waiting on gaming screenshots to make the final decision on if the elusive 'pixel doubling' unicorn is worth chasing.

As for monitors that actually support this? I don't know of any.

What we really need is GPU's to support the various scaling algorithms at the driver level like the ones commonly found in emulators that could be toggled/changed for use with all game types like other handy GPU setting options like dynamic super resolution. I actually spoke out about that very thing on twitter recently. To me that would be a huge selling point on a GPU to easily enable those kinds of scaling algorithms to all games.

The nature of the beast is games tend to always show their age the only way to prevent that is continuous development of them through sprites, textures, and 3D object meshes in the case of 3D.

https://twitter.com/DesSanctYew/status/623487955127046146

Look at Doom with scaling algorithm filter types enable and disabled who wouldn't mind have this as a option for all game at the GPU hardware/driver level quite honestly? I don't see why AMD/Nvidia couldn't implement it.
https://youtu.be/wubZzS329JU?t=5m22s

TFTCentral posted a review of the Viewsonic 4k monitor today and here's what they had to say about it's lower resolution scaling: "One option of course is to run the game at a lower resolution and let the screen scale it. That's probably the most sensible option in most cases and we know that the interpolation of lower resolutions like 2560 x 1440 and 1920 x 1080 is pretty good on this model. It does kind of defeat the point of having a 4k resolution in the first place though. If you have games which can natively support this resolution properly, they would look fantastic given the very high resolution and high pixel density. External games consoles running at 1080p will still look ok, and the image is interpolated quite well."

We were waiting on gaming screenshots to make the final decision on if the elusive 'pixel doubling' unicorn is worth chasing.
I do still plan to do this, I just didn't get the opportunity to last week.
But it is absolutely worthwhile. I've done the comparisons myself before, I just need to get photographs of them to post here.

I encourage anyone interested in this to request an option for it in the GPU driver on the GeForce forums: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/844905/integer-scaling-mode/

There are advantages to doing it in hardware and software.
If it's in the driver, you gain this functionality with any display.
If the display has this feature, it might work at higher refresh rates.
E.g. a screen which does 4K60 and 1080p120 - if you scale it up in the driver, you would end up with a 1080p resolution image at 60Hz because the GPU outputs a 4K60 signal if it's handling the scaling.

Back