• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4k or 1440p monitors

PhotonX

n00b
Joined
Jun 14, 2013
Messages
10
I am replacing a dual monitor setup on my desktop that I built back in 2013, I am currently on a GTX 760 with the following output:
One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort


I actually wanted a dual 4k monitors, but I decided to go with dual 1440p monitor Dell U2719DC . Now, I am thinking, would I be able to do one of the following so that I have dual 4k monitors (U2718Q):

  1. Connect DisplayPort and HDMI to each 4k monitor separately
  2. Use DVI to DisplayPort adaptors to plug 4k montior to each of the DVI ports (DVI-I and DVI-D)

Or is there anything else that could work. I even thought about buying Sony X900E 55', but that's just too big to use for me now, so I am going with a monitor.
 
Last edited:
You may want to consider a new GPU. Even the cheap ones today will have modern outputs.

If I'm reading the specs correctly, only that single DisplayPort port will support 4K 60Hz.

So you could do one 4K monitor. If you want to 2, you'll need a new graphics card.
 
You may want to consider a new GPU. Even the cheap ones today will have modern outputs.

If I'm reading the specs correctly, only that single DisplayPort port will support 4K 60Hz.

So you could do one 4K monitor. If you want to 2, you'll need a new graphics card.
Ok, thanks. I will think about either getting a new card for dual 4k monitors or just go with dual 1440p monitors with the card I have.
 
Yeah it shouldn't cost much (if not worried about gaming) to get something that can do what you need. Gpu wise that is.
 
I am replacing a dual monitor setup on my desktop that I built back in 2013, I am currently on a GTX 760 with the following output:
One Dual Link DVI-I, One Dual Link DVI-D, One HDMI, One DisplayPort


I actually wanted a dual 4k monitors, but I decided to go with dual 1440p monitor Dell U2719DC . Now, I am thinking, would I be able to do one of the following so that I have dual 4k monitors (U2718Q):

  1. Connect DisplayPort and HDMI to each 4k monitor separately
  2. Use DVI to DisplayPort adaptors to plug 4k montior to each of the DVI ports (DVI-I and DVI-D)

Or is there anything else that could work. I even thought about buying Sony X900E 55', but that's just too big to use for me now, so I am going with a monitor.

1. You should be able to - maybe some video cards don't support this, I've never had a problem. However, I bet your HDMI output will max out at 24 Hz (possibly 30) at 4k. You probably won't like it.
2. I've never used DVI lol, But I don't think it supports high refresh rates at high resolutions (look it up)
3. Your displayport probably also won't support 4k @60Hz (look it up)

There's a 980 Ti asus strix card on ebay right now for 280 I think it's buy it now. I'd buy that, then look at monitors.

And for games, I'd recommend a wide 2k 144 Hz monitor, maybe 28". I'm a programmer, I use dual 32" 4k monitors. I love it, but the screens are too tall for games, the 60Hz refresh is noticeable, and I wouldn't gain much by increasing pixel density. (I'm pretty picky for gaming.)
 
I ordered two of the U2719DC monitors from Dell. Hoping it would serve me well for the next 4 years before I upgrade to 4k monitors. I am also planning to use these as external monitors to hook up my laptops (Macbook pro or Surface book).

How much are you looking to spend on a GPU?

I think this one would be good:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125951

If I do not like the new monitors, I might have to end up upgrading my grahpics card. I have a Asus Z87-DELUXE motherboard based desktop that I build back in 2013, I will look up if the newer graphics are compatible to use.

1. You should be able to - maybe some video cards don't support this, I've never had a problem. However, I bet your HDMI output will max out at 24 Hz (possibly 30) at 4k. You probably won't like it.
2. I've never used DVI lol, But I don't think it supports high refresh rates at high resolutions (look it up)
3. Your displayport probably also won't support 4k @60Hz (look it up)

There's a 980 Ti asus strix card on ebay right now for 280 I think it's buy it now. I'd buy that, then look at monitors.

And for games, I'd recommend a wide 2k 144 Hz monitor, maybe 28". I'm a programmer, I use dual 32" 4k monitors. I love it, but the screens are too tall for games, the 60Hz refresh is noticeable, and I wouldn't gain much by increasing pixel density. (I'm pretty picky for gaming.)

Thanks for the feedback. I am a programmer too. Which dual 32" 4k monitors do you have? Also which graphics card?
 
And for games, I'd recommend a wide 2k 144 Hz monitor, maybe 28". I'm a programmer, I use dual 32" 4k monitors. I love it, but the screens are too tall for games, the 60Hz refresh is noticeable, and I wouldn't gain much by increasing pixel density. (I'm pretty picky for gaming.)

I appreciate the wisdom in this, that we race so often for pixel density (which has it's place) but for gaming miss some of the other important factors. Thanks.
 
And for games, I'd recommend a wide 2k 144 Hz monitor, maybe 28". I'm a programmer, I use dual 32" 4k monitors. I love it, but the screens are too tall for games, the 60Hz refresh is noticeable, and I wouldn't gain much by increasing pixel density. (I'm pretty picky for gaming.)

I actually love ultrawides for productivity tasks but don't care for them for gaming. I feel the wide aspect ratio doesn't give much benefit and is poorly supported in a lot of games. For me 27-28" 16:9 is the perfect size for 1440p but for 4K I would want 32" or higher. When you get to those screen sizes and resolutions I feel that the need for more desktop space is also diminished.
 
I bought dual Dell U2719DC and I just setup one of the monitor up. While it is better than the monitors I have, it is showing some blending of blackness or dimness at all the edges of the screen. I just took a photo with my phone, not sure if this picture shows what I mean, but posting it anyway.

I also did a closer look and I was not able to find any pixels that are too bright.

Now, I am having second thoughts on if I should keep this monitor or if things like these are common these days on mid range monitors. I bought it during the Black Friday discount, and I have until Jan 15th to return.
 

Attachments

  • 20181209_113302.jpg
    20181209_113302.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 0
Back
Top