4k Monitor Scaling Options

Nismo

[H]ard|Gawd
If I had a desktop system with a 4k monitor (probably scaled to 150%), then I opened a full screen RDP session and connected to a laptop system to do lots of office related work, what would that look like? Also, if I started to work back on the laptop screen, local to the laptop, would the laptop native resolution and scaling come back after I logged in and disconnected the RDP session from my desktop?

I have seen some tricks out there, but is there anything else you all would recommend?

I only ever tried to connect with RDP into a smaller res PC from my 4k screen and it worked fine, including DPI. By fine I mean I had the proper 4k with my local DPI settings on the remote PC with fullscreen RDP. RDP sessions are actual logins and separate, so yes, once you logout the remote machine will have it's original settings. This is actually why I like RDP, other remote desktop programs like Teamviewer, AnyDesk, etc. can't do this, so they are limited to the remote PCs resolution...

Reactions: Nismo
like this
I RDP from a 1080 machine to a 4K machine daily. It automatically scales everything down and it looks normal. When I log on to the 4K machine locally it returns to 4K without issues, sometimes right after log in you can see the windows readjust their scaling.
Once in a while a program won't rescale itself and it shows up at like 1/4 size, usually requiring a reopening of the application.

Reactions: Nismo
like this
Back