4K and displayport woes

jeverson

Weaksauce
Hey guys...

This is my first time hooking up and using a 4K monitor and unfortunately it is not going so well. First let me list what I have...

AMD R9 280x
Acer XB280HK
Core I7-4770K
16Gb Ram
Win 7 64bit
Latest AMD driver

I disconnected my trusty old Samsung 24" 1920x1200 LCD which I've had for 10 years from the DVI port and plugged in the new ACER via the provided displayport cable. When I did the resolution adjusted but I got this little popup...

3odiqwj51

And Windows asked to reboot. After the reboot the ACER will no longer detect a signal. I hooked up another monitor on my desk via DVI and rebooted the PC again. I was able ot get back into Windows but still get no display on the ACER. If I go into display properties it shows that the monitor is detected but I get nothing on it.

gmfvvz2f9

I have tried making it the default, I have tried extending it. I think I have tried everything I can think of other than changing the cable since I don't have another. Not sure that would fix it since Windows can see the monitor even though it isn't showing anything. Any ideas? Thanks in advance...

It could be trying to connect to the older monitor. Trying uninstalling the gpu and monitor drivers with old monitor plugged in and rebooting with no drivers and the new acer.

Thanks but I don't think that is the issue. When I reboot with it plugged in by itself I don't get any bios screen either. So it looks like it isn't doing anything on that display port from the get go. It's very odd. But I will try this as a last resort before an RMA. Thanks.

Well ain't this a kick in the teeth. I ended up enabling the onboard Intel video card since it has a displayport and install the drivers for it and low and behold my 4K monitor works just fine on it. :mad:

Well... at least I know I don't need an RMA but this also means no gaming until i get a replacement card :(

That said... I've been thinking of making the switch from AMD back to nVidia, and since this monitor has that g-sync built in maybe it's a sign... just don't tell the wife ;)

Thanks for the feed back.

If you guys can think of anything else to try I'm all ears as I'd rather not fork out another $500 plus right now.

If it is the card, which by the sounds of it, it is. Then it wouldn't hurt to uninstall the drivers and re-install them, at least for piece of mind.

Back