4ghz AMD FX-57's?

ChingChang

Supreme [H]ardness
yeah so I'm arguing with this guy who just got into computers, he keeps talking about an AMD "4 ghz club". He says it's very easy to get 4ghz using a FX57, and that it would not even be possible with an Opteron processor due to locked multipliers and that the opterons "hit a wall"

This is using Phase Change cooling. He says it is very easy getting 4ghz using Phase Change.

I didn't think it would be. He refused to post the link to the "4 ghz club" on the extreme overclocking forums. I've done several searches and came up with nothing, aside from the intel 4ghz club.

The only 4 ghz FX-57 I've heard about is this one
http://www.vrforums.com/showthread.php?p=1373533

If it's so easy according to him, why hasn't anyone here hit 4ghz? Highest I've seen is like 3.5 which the opteron can get to.

Does H forums not have many phase change users, this guy not know what he's talking about and is that one guy extremely lucky to get 4ghz?

btw I was arguing about how it's better to just get an Opteron than to spend 3-4x as much and get an FX-57. He thinks opterons are shit because the multiplier is locked, and they "hit a wall" and that FX-57's are "garaunteed to hit 4ghz with phase change" and some other bullshit.

You were the correct one. Make sure to have an ice cream sandwich at lunch time. :p

Only a small handful have touched that mark. Guy by the name of Kingpin recently got superpi done with a 4GHz Fx57, to 1 million, and is rightly considered one hell of an accomplishment.

Even with a phase changing settup, 4gz is a rare feat, and certainly shouldn't be considered "easy".

And while the Opteron's do have locked multipliers, i don't think i would call them crap, especially given the fact that they cost a fraction of the FX chips.

yes, but there is no question that the best of the FX's are better than the best of the opterons.. it's just the glaring price difference that makes the opteron extremely attractive ;)

also, all the FX-57's that have broken 4ghz outside of AMD's testing facilities can be counted with just your hands :D

I've only seen two 4ghz Athlon FX57 chips. Both were not entirely stable at that speed either. One was a suicide shot and the other was able to run SuperPI to 8 million digits; anything more and it would crap out.

A real (ie stable) FX57 usually run in the 3.4-3.5ghz range on good phase change. Nothing to sneeze at! :D

(cf)Eclipse said:
I know OPB's was stable but didn't he lose that FX to DFI eXpert? As in the the mobo killed it? Also do you remember what Pedro Rocha & Rickys FX was stable in, I remember he got his to 4Ghz and it was a Clawhammer!!!
Kingpin also broke into the 4Ghz FX57 area.

EDIT - It seems it was Pedro Rocha that lost his FX to the expert

opb had one fx killed.. it might have been that one, i'm not sure. it also killed an X2 that didn't have a cold bug, or else had cold bug effects at REAAAALLLY low temps ;)
he has more fx's.. luckily, my favorite of the ones he's used so far is still around :cool:

Ya just to reiterate. You could pry count the 4GHZ FX57's on one had. And most of them post at xtremesystems. And all of them were on exotic cooling. And no it is not easy to get there even with exotic cooling. And From the ones that i remember I think that that were jsut windows bootable, not even SuperPi Stable. I only read about 1 SuperPi Stable at 3.9 GHZ and I think that 1 or 2 ppl were able to get through 3Dmark05 at 3.9.

seniorpaul said:
Even with a phase changing settup, 4gz is a rare feat, and certainly shouldn't be considered "easy".

And while the Opteron's do have locked multipliers, i don't think i would call them crap, especially given the fact that they cost a fraction of the FX chips.
yeah, that's what I've been trying to explain to him :(
I guess the only he'll learn is after he spends $900 on his phase change unit, then doesn't get anywhere near 4 ghz.

He currently has about $30-40, so it will be awhile :p

Heh I don't see many Opterons getting to 3.5Ghz. Maybe one or two with dice, or -25C ambient temps. :eek:

and how many FX's have you seen at 3.5ghz without the same approximate temps? ;)

2.8ghz duel core amd is plenty fun imo, and thats on air :)

olny downside is it requies 1.52v for me, which is a bit toasty for 24/7 use, mabey if the cryo-z comes out and can handel it.

i posted at 3.5ghz before on acident, was setting the fsb to 308, and typo'd 388, didnt realize it, untill it locked up booting into windows and i went back into the bios and was like WHOA thats not good :D

Its is not possible for any of the opterons to hit 4 ghz. (atleast the 144/146/148) Its not an issue with them being a bad cpu to not be able to OC very well as they do..., BUT it takes very special conditions to be met to even have a FX57 even do so. Its all about the correct combination. Its takes a great mobo and memory and PSU...VERY VERY special cooling.. But specifically it takes the correct stepping and production dates to really be key. certain steppings and dates have little to no cold bug issues. Mem-contollers are better in some. Some need more voltages and some need less.. Right now the Worlds record is 4.1 ghz from a FX57.(in fact one of the screenshots shown above in someones link.) Just to mention some names like OPB and Dumo a member here on [H] Forum know as Centvanly, Kingpin, Team Japan, Teamextreme memory, Harlybro, and some others. in fact about a group of 10 to 12 people right now is all. In fact here in about another week maybe more I plan to add one more to that list. I have my FX-57 0528 GPMW (bought recently from a good freind named Gocchin) also have my DFI SLI DR (its allready been to 4040mhz with my friend dumo) and some very cherry good Team memory from my boy OnePageBook.( as well as some BH5 and some really awesome Gskill All of wich i got from OPB) Then to really top it off is the one thing ive been waiting on the most.. Thats my cooling. Its a -100 + Cascade unit custom built (one of a kind special like) By the Master of ultra cold himself.. The CPU has allready been benched to 3925 mhz with Dry ice and an aluminum Mousepot. @ temps of about -60 is all on the heatsink/container head. My Phase cooling will get me alot more then that as well as its capabillity to maintain extreme temps under full load will be even better. Should easily be ably to jump in on the 4 ghz group no problem. The other cool thing is this CPU set up on the mouse pot also did a 32m Super PI time of 19.42 min/sec.. So its a very stong unit. My Opty 144 is also very stomh and should be able to reach pretty close to 3.5ghz with the phase cooling as it seems to not have any cold bug issues as well (FX57 has no cold bug either) But when all is here and I am ready I will post both CPU clocks and benches for all to see.

Opty's are really Nice love mine i do!! BUT my FX57 totally kills it any day of the week. Just a fact.

Its possible with a certain condition ....... FX57 got to be able to boot up windows @ 15X250 @ 1.76 vcore with evaporator temp. @99.9C or -68/69 core bios temp (only cascade or LN2 can reach this temp) ....then 4Ghz can be reach with clockgen and extra heat load (ACPI multiprocessor).
To be able to bench @ 4Ghz its different story, it needs a lottt of tweaks to memory settings :)
Also mobo+psu+memory have to be able to scale up with the 57.

centvalny said:
Its possible with a certain condition ....... FX57 got to be able to boot up windows @ 15X250 @ 1.76 vcore with evaporator temp. @99.9C or -68/69 core bios temp (only cascade or LN2 can reach this temp) ....then 4Ghz can be reach with clockgen and extra heat load (ACPI multiprocessor).
To be able to bench @ 4Ghz its different story, it needs a lottt of tweaks to memory settings :)
Also mobo+psu+memory have to be able to scale up with the 57.

There is My Bro Now !!! Sup Mister 4ghz+..Cascade be to me by the end of the month!!!
I will have to call you when it gets here!! FUN FUN FUN

Capt, I have a good feeling with CABNE 0528GPMW :)

FX60 tomorrow :D ...Eventhough all peeps say cold bug @ 230HTT and -25C, I will try it anyway...with full range of temps from +5C to -105C with these coolers ;)

picture0513qi.jpg

Learned a lot from crazy 'no cold bug' Opty 150/182 CABNE0528 and 'bugged big time' Opty 154 CAB2E0536...

Back