4gb and vista only see 2,3gb

andersondiaz

Weaksauce
I buy 2 gb more for my system because vista is big kill the ram, surprise now only see on vista 2,3gb

any sugestion or solution???

thx

I assume your using Vista 32bit. If so you'll have to move to 64bit to see all of your memory. There are ways to tweak more memory out of the system, but due to hardware limitations of 32bit, you'll still only be able to see 3.5GB at the most.

I assume your using Vista 32bit. If so you'll have to move to 64bit to see all of your memory. There are ways to tweak more memory out of the system, but due to hardware limitations of 32bit, you'll still only be able to see 3.5GB at the most.

yes I use vista 32bit but only can see 2,3gb in system, in xp can see 4gb

Were you using 64-bit XP? In 32-bit XP you should have also seen ~3.2 if Vista only sees that much.

Regardless, because of how device addressing is implemented in CPUs (mmap i/o) a 32-bit CPU is capable of addressing 4 GB, but some of that address space is reserved for addressing other devices in your system.

Were you using 64-bit XP? In 32-bit XP you should have also seen ~3.2 if Vista only sees that much.

Regardless, because of how device addressing is implemented in CPUs (mmap i/o) a 32-bit CPU is capable of addressing 4 GB, but some of that address space is reserved for addressing other devices in your system.

both OS 32bits

Nope.
You were either using xp64 or you were not seeing 4GB of System RAM.
Do a Search

This issue has been asked and answered hundreds of times on this and other forums. To fix this you will need to upgrade to 64 bit Vista.

Mark.

Nope.
You were either using xp64 or you were not seeing 4GB of System RAM.
Do a Search

correct, people confuse actual physical ram addressed with physical ram and virtual ram combined, a 32 bit OS just doesn't have the ability to address all 4 Gb of memory, so he was seeing 3.2-3.5Gb of physical ram and the other 500-800Mb's was page file or virtual memory

interesting...

so is virtual memory limited too? if you had 4gb physical and 4gb virtual... would it cap at 4gb total.. or show 4gb and not show the 4gb virtual...

i know all about 32gb vs 64gb and 4gb support etc.. but just curious on the virtual memory aspect. i wonder if a lower vm would increase ram scores in a 32bit enviornment ...

i wish vm could be disabled without stability issues with 6gb in vista 64.. i havnt tested disabling yet

guys, he has 2 768 MB GTX's which will suck away 1.5 GB of his addressable ram in 32 bit mode.

guys, he has 2 768 MB GTX's which will suck away 1.5 GB of his addressable ram in 32 bit mode.

that's also true....i forgot about that aspect of it, actually thats what i was more thinking about, but for some reason i thought it was virtual memory that cut into addressable ram

This is a hardware issue, not a software one.

The processor only has 32bits of address space. which give you only 4,294,967,296 individual addresses to work with. The memory subsystem in x86 platforms is byte addressable. That means each individual address is tied to exactly one full byte of physical, virtual, or I/O memory.

4,294,967,296 bytes / 1,048,576 bytes per MB = 4,096 MB of addressable RAM. A 32bit system cannot access any more than that so tradeoffs have to be made. Physical RAM is what is the first to go.

So - in fact both vista and xp are showing 2.3gigs of addressable ram...

If you look on the left of the xp screenshot on the system properties window you'll see the system is only using 2.3gigs of ram - under the system information pane it seems that XP has recognised you have 4 gigs in there (I think - not exactly hugely au fait with spanish) but is only addressing 2.3 or so.

just look

On your xp, you only have 2.25gb available to the os. The 2nd window you have in your screen shot is interrogating the hardware/bios to see what hardware is installed, not what you can use, thats the discrepancy, use what windows says. If you had opened task manager it would have reported 2.25gb of physical available as well.

the problem is that you have two cards with 768 megs of RAM each. Remember that max RAM in a 32-bit OS is 4 Gigs MINUS all memory in video cards, sound cards, etc. 768 + 768 ~ 1.5gigs. 4 - 1.5 = 2.5 gigs of RAM... that's your issue. Upgrade to a 64-bit OS.

Mark.

ok guys thx your help :D, I learn some new thing. I will install 64bits os, I hope the support drivers in this time are well. ;)

el burro sabe mas que tu

el elephante su animal que no vive en hoteles

i i know those arent written right, but thats the two things i remember from three years of spanish in high school:D

Colorado Public High School Spanish for 3 years. Public education didn't help me much there, I guess. I always thought I had both of those right!

No, it didn't.

You got a good job though, My BSEE (Computer) didn't help me get into much down here in the south. They don't know what Computer Engineering even is.. :rolleyes:

No, it didn't.

You got a good job though, My BSEE (Computer) didn't help me get into much down here in the south. They don't know what Computer Engineering even is.. :rolleyes:

Isn't that where you drive a train with a computer in it?

Back