4930K vs 4960X OC

Arkanian

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know of any links comparing how well these overclock? If the 4930K OC is comparable to the 4960X then I probably will get the 4930K.

Don't find any benches yet of the new generation but Anandtech did this one for the SB-E versions. The differences between the two chips will likley be about the same for IB-E althought some faster overall than SB. For a bit more cache (and a lot more cash!) don't think the 60X is that much better than the 30K--other than for bragging rights. Pretty sure the 30K was the sweet spot for the last generation. Save the extra $400 for better graphics and so forth would be my suggestion unless something else proves it wrong.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/443?vs=552

I concur with tordogs. I'm none too pleased that IB-E has not been skipped over and moved right to a Haswell implementation instead, nor do I approve of the high pricing for a 6-core processor just as there was during the SB-E days,. However, if i was going to invest in IB-E, I'd buy the 4930K when it was cheapest to offset the blow. For the last few generations the eXtreme editions have not been worth the price when it came to overclocking, compared to buying the chip with the closest hardware configuration (ie same number of cores, close cache) and a lower starting frequency. Both OCed, they tend to be pretty close concerning OC threshold stability, and the lower model ends up sufficiently better as an investment

When it comes to overclocking, it's a lottery. You can't assume each sample will be able to reach certain speeds, as you'll see with some reviews (some good, some poor).

If you need a six core, just go with the 4930k. Outside of some synthetic benches (super small differences as is), the difference between the two will be zero.

Its my personal opinion the 3930k was the better overclocker. I had 3 samples and 2 of them would do 5.1 and 5.2ghz and all 3 would runn ddr 2400 fine. Ive heard multiple people state the 3960x could barely get ddr 2200

Yes, 3930K is best overclocker. Only advantage is higher memory standard and PCI-E 3.0 other than that its a waste. In Canada cheapest has been 1099.99 for 4960X. Most play are between 1100-1200 bucks not including 12 percent tax. I will be holding out since I have 3960x for now. Only reason I would want 4960x is for PCI-E 3.0 for my Titans.

Back