4890 + ??? = Triple monitor (non-gaming)

Breath_of_the_Dying

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys, I bought 3 monitors and a 4890 to hold me over until I can get my hands on a 5800 series cards. I bought 3 monitors, not just for gaming, but for programming as well.

From what I know the 4890 can only hold 2 outputs, so I'll need a third one to get a third monitor up and running. I'm thinking either a card that I can use for physx and to run the third or whatever the cheapest card to get the third monitor.

What do you recommend for a physx card, GTS250? something cheaper?? If I just want the cheapest card to run the third monitor (1920x1200), what's out there that I can get?

Physx is very overrated right now (see the reviews).
I would just find a cheap pci card to power your 3rd.

Getting both nvidia cards and ATI cards to play nicely is not easy. You could pick up a low-end ATI card like a 4670 or something pretty cheap. Maybe something used. stick with 4000 series just to keep things as simple as possible since this is an interrim setup. You don't happen to have a motherboard with onboard graphics, do you? You might be able to get that running if so.

If you are using an AMD based motherboard with onboard video you can use the outputs on that for another 2 monitors.

I use a 9600GSO 512MB for physX. It cost me only $35 after MIR. I think the price has crept up slightly on them though.

Yep, that 4350 will do what you need it to do. All your doing is supporting a desktop display so whatever is cheapest and works is best. That does have a fanless cooler that extends past single-slot territory. you won't be able to install a card in the next expansion slot.

Back