4890 Temp and Fan problems?

Langly

Supreme [H]ardness
So heres my issue. Just upgraded to an i7 Rig and now my vid card has been exhibating some odd features. Mind you it took 2 weeks for this to present itself.

What has been happening is the Vid card fan has randomly been turning off. This in turn causes the rig to seize.

I've reseated the card and unplugged the power to it and this seems to get the fan spinning again. My big concern is that the card is running @ 90c in games according to the CCC temp monitor.

I throttled back my overclock on my 930 to help with heat, but ive been running with the side of my case off and watching things. Its not an ambient temp problem, just seems to be isolated with the vid card. My cpu is running @ 60c in games right now using my corsair h50

Any thoughts of why the fan would randomly turn off? Damaged? Not enough power? I'm kinda stumped by this.

System specs:

I7 930 @ 3.8ghz
Gigabyte UD3R
Gskill Ripskills 6gb 1600mhz
Radeon 4890 1gb
Corsair 650watt

Any ideas are appreciated

Last edited:
have u tried to use ccc to manual set fan speed to see if that starts it back up again?

If it's still under warranty, save yourself some headache and just RMA it. That will rule out any and all possibilities of problems with the card itself.

I actually just found something pretty interesting out.

I swapped in my nvidia 7950gt from my HTPC to see if it was just my 4890 causing issues. I got the same issue to happen with a card that uses no where near as much power. I figured out my 650watt psu isn't able to handle my overclock and these cards. Not enough juice on the 12v.

I throttled my cpu down to 3.8ghz and lowered the CPU voltage down to stock and i haven't had a problem all day. I am going to be testing this further but so far I think its just my PSU not having the juice.

I am ordering an 850watt psu anyways cause my HTPC is sitting not in use due to lack of power. I'll give you guys a heads up on what I find out if that fully resolves the issue

Back