So yesterday I picked up a XFX 4890 from Best Buy because I was able to get it for $148 which I thought was a decent price. I figure that some day I'll go with a 5870, but for now I just needed something with a little more power than my 8800GT has (plus my budget doesn't really have room for a $400 card right now).
Anyway, I had always heard about the amazing overclocking potential that the 4890 has, so I was a little surprised when using Riva Tuner to bump up the core clock from 850 to 860 resulted in complete instability. Just taking it up that measly 10MHz causes the core temp to jump from 37.5C to 42.5C at idle, which seems really really extreme to me. A 1% overclock results in a 15% jump in idle temperatures??? As soon as I try to run a game or a test (3dmark or furmark) my system locks up and I have to reset. If I leave it at default settings it will run like a champ for hours, but the slightest overclock kills it.
So..... is this just a fluke card that just doesn't have headroom for overclocking?
I had read a guru3d review about the 4890's potential and they got a stable overclock of 971MHz. Obviously not every card can do that, but mine can't even get to 860MHz without crashing and burning.
Oh and the only game that I've really been using to test stability has been Arkham Asylum.
So, thoughts? Suggestions? I don't really need to overclock my card, but I bought it with the expectation that I would be able to.
Oh and one last point/question. When I start up my computer I get an error message saying that my driver isn't compatible with Catalyst Control Center and that I should get a newer driver, but I'm already using the latest driver.
Anyway, I had always heard about the amazing overclocking potential that the 4890 has, so I was a little surprised when using Riva Tuner to bump up the core clock from 850 to 860 resulted in complete instability. Just taking it up that measly 10MHz causes the core temp to jump from 37.5C to 42.5C at idle, which seems really really extreme to me. A 1% overclock results in a 15% jump in idle temperatures??? As soon as I try to run a game or a test (3dmark or furmark) my system locks up and I have to reset. If I leave it at default settings it will run like a champ for hours, but the slightest overclock kills it.
So..... is this just a fluke card that just doesn't have headroom for overclocking?
I had read a guru3d review about the 4890's potential and they got a stable overclock of 971MHz. Obviously not every card can do that, but mine can't even get to 860MHz without crashing and burning.
Oh and the only game that I've really been using to test stability has been Arkham Asylum.
So, thoughts? Suggestions? I don't really need to overclock my card, but I bought it with the expectation that I would be able to.
Oh and one last point/question. When I start up my computer I get an error message saying that my driver isn't compatible with Catalyst Control Center and that I should get a newer driver, but I'm already using the latest driver.