• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4890 Problems... Drivers? Bad Card?

napalm588

n00b
Joined
May 4, 2009
Messages
26
Here is a picture of my desktop...

untitled-3.jpg


This doesn't happen all the time, only once in a while. Games run fine and smooth, and there are no video problems during games, just when on my desktop...

The problems started a week ago, Every 5-10 seconds the display would just go completely blank for 1-2 seconds. After taking the HDMI cord out of the display, then putting it back in the problems would stop for an hour, then maybe come back. Changing my resolution, then back again would also work.

The only reason I suspect this might be a bad motherboard is because after shipping the system, I couldnt get my GTX 280 to work, barely at all. With the 280, the system would run fine, then during game load, the card would just power off.


What do you guys think?
 
Idle around 50, doenst usually get much higher than 70...

Is there anything I can toy around with, as far as drivers go? or is that likely not the problem.
 
Highly unlikely there's a driver setting that will fix that. Looks like bad hardware somewhere. Only possible driver settings I can think of it "alternate dvi operational mode" and gpu scaling. Also make sure that your refresh rate and resolution are natively supported by the monitor.
 
Any way to test and see if it's the memory? I don't have another system to put it in...

its OCZ Reaper DDR2 2x2 GB ram @800MHz btw...
 
Any way to test and see if it's the memory? I don't have another system to put it in...

its OCZ Reaper DDR2 2x2 GB ram @800MHz btw...
It's not the pc memory failing, it's the video card memory failing. I've seen in my time a few cards dying exactly like yours and it's the memory on the gpu.
 
It's not the pc memory failing, it's the video card memory failing. I've seen in my time a few cards dying exactly like yours and it's the memory on the gpu.

But the video card is less than a week old? Brand new from Newegg...

HIS hd 4890
 
But the video card is less than a week old? Brand new from Newegg...

HIS hd 4890
Doesn't mean anything. Could have been damaged during shipping (say lost a couple of capacitors, not auto failure since these cards are designed with backups in mind) and the problem emerged. A card can fail a week after use (albeit rare). My buddies laptop died in 2 days for example.
 
Back
Top