4890 Bottlenecked?

I'm starting to think my GPU is bottlenecked, I get crappy FPS in Fallout 3 & L4D.
Around 20 - 50 depending on the area.

Only game I've managed to run @ 1920x1080 with all the sampling and AA at max, v-sync, was Street Fighter IV. Constant 60 FPS.
Even other source games lag, I.E, Neotokyo.
Changing resolutions doesn't make much of a difference.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz
SuperTalent DDR2 (Unganged)
GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3
PowerColor 4890 1GB GDDR5
Uhh, Enermax 485W PSU.
Windows 7
CCC Windows 7, latest version.
Reformatted install as of posting.

GPU Core: 900 MHz, Memory 1000MHz

Your CPU is definitely bottle necking that GPU, especially in L4D. The Source engine loves the CPU. You'd get much better performance out of that card with a Phenom 2 be it X2 Dual, Tri or Quad.

Would the motherboard and PSU be affecting it at all? I've not had any weird lock-ups or overheating, etc.

Was also looking at getting the AMD Phenom II X3 720 Triple Core 2.8GHz AM3 and overclocking it a bit, would that see me a good performance gain and stop the GPU from being bottlenecked so much?

Would the motherboard and PSU be affecting it at all? I've not had any weird lock-ups or overheating, etc.

Was also looking at getting the AMD Phenom II X3 720 Triple Core 2.8GHz AM3 and overclocking it a bit, would that see me a good performance gain and stop the GPU from being bottlenecked so much?

No. The motherboard isnt effecting it. The PSU is kinda weak but it should suffice. The X3 720 would be a great upgrade especially if you over clock it to 3.2-3.6.

I heard the 720 was good, something about more cache per' core. Don't entirely understand that. I'll pick up a Phenom II X3 720 in a few days then. Thanks for the input, was worried.

I would say its the CPU to, IMO you need at least a Core 2 Duo or Phenom II @ 3Ghz but a C2Q would be best for gaming right now.. I am going to order a C2Q in about 2 weeks.. Q9550 @ 3.4GHz and I know I will not notice a huge difference in most games but still, they will just run smoother overall.. if you can go for a Phenom II Tri core or quad core.. The C2Q is still a tiny bit faster but nothing you will really notice.. I am just loving how cheap C2Q's are right now..

If you are going to get another Mobo go for a C2Q for sure! They are the best gaming CPU's you can get right now..

If you are going to get another Mobo go for a C2Q for sure! They are the best gaming CPU's you can get right now..
No, not really considering the newegg Phenom II combo deals. Anything other than i7 is not worth buying from intel ATM.

No, not really considering the newegg Phenom II combo deals. Anything other than i7 is not worth buying from intel ATM.

But he really did try to convince himself otherwise in that post.
To the OP, your 485 should be fine as long s you have about 40amps on the 12V, a fully loaded Phenom II system should consume 350-380W total.
EDIT: From my experience Fallout3 at 1920*1200 Maxed Out (AA +AF + Max Details) should run 60-90FPS (with rig in sig)..

There's no way his 485W PSU would put out 40A on the +12V. Most likely it would be only 32-33A

lol, The i7 is really not worth it for a gamer at all.. a Core 2 Quad is a much better choice. believe me, I have friends that went from Core 2 Quad's to i7's and they are not happy with it at all.. do the research your self.. C2Q is the way to go.. unless you are building up a whole now rig, new mobo, ram and cpu.. but if you already have a LGA775, you are much better off going with a C2Q or a E8400 and OCing it.. Most games right now will not even use the Quad but down the line it will be a much better choice, as I already think it is.. the i7 is nice but right now, intel is getting really stupid with the whole i3, i5,i7 and i9 thing.. I am going to wait it out like everyone else since it just is not worth the upgrade..

lol, The i7 is really not worth it for a gamer at all.. a Core 2 Quad is a much better choice. believe me, I have friends that went from Core 2 Quad's to i7's and they are not happy with it at all.. do the research your self.. C2Q is the way to go.. unless you are building up a whole now rig, new mobo, ram and cpu.. but if you already have a LGA775, you are much better off going with a C2Q or a E8400 and OCing it.. Most games right now will not even use the Quad but down the line it will be a much better choice, as I already think it is.. the i7 is nice but right now, intel is getting really stupid with the whole i3, i5,i7 and i9 thing.. I am going to wait it out like everyone else since it just is not worth the upgrade..

You...you're kidding right? If you're upgrading right now, and money is not the issue, there is no reason to take a c2q over i7.

i7 in almost all cases is approximately equal in performance to a similarly clocked c2q or vastly superior depending on the circumstance. I haven't seen anything that would make a person "not happy..at all" with choosing i7.

You...you're kidding right? If you're upgrading right now, and money is not the issue, there is no reason to take a c2q over i7.

i7 in almost all cases is approximately equal in performance to a similarly clocked c2q or vastly superior depending on the circumstance. I haven't seen anything that would make a person "not happy..at all" with choosing i7.
If someone had a decent midrange system and upgraded just the platform (CPU, MOBO, MEM), then his performance difference in games would probably be unnoticeable - unless he's using SLI or Xfire.
I can't see anyone complaining about Core I7 performance though- it is literally as good as it gets today.

Get a decent CPU.
To get the "best" from a 4890 you need around a 3.7Ghz C2Q or a bit faster Phenom.

Your PSU is NOT good enough and you risk catastrophic failure.
If you insist on keeping the PSU, do not boost any voltages.
That limits any overclock (which you also shouldnt do with that PSU).
So ultimately your PSU is capable of harming your PC and will prevent you from getting the PCs full performance if it doesnt die.

Get a decent CPU.
To get the "best" from a 4890 you need around a 3.7Ghz C2Q or a bit faster Phenom.

Why 3.7GHz? In terms of gaming with GTX280, decent increase of FPS in noticed by increasing Core 2 architecture CPU speed up to 3GHz, meanwhile going even higher affects the performance just by a few percent.

Why 3.7GHz? In terms of gaming with GTX280, decent increase of FPS in noticed by increasing Core 2 architecture CPU speed up to 3GHz, meanwhile going even higher affects the performance just by a few percent.

Note I said 'to get the "best"'.
That doesnt mean that all games need that powerful a CPU but some definitely will.

For an 8800GT, a C2D at 2.7GHz was required to get the best.
3GHz is low end for the gaming GT200 series cards.
It depends on the game, resolution you use and graphics quality settings you want to use.

And why is that? Considering Intel is keeping the Socket 775 around until 2011 I wouldn't make such a statement (as that is longer than AM3 is going to be around for).

You can see my specs in my sig. I play L4D a lot and run it @ 2048x1536 with 6xMSAA (or whatever the highest in L4D is), 16xAF and everything maxed and I get like 80 average FPS, it never drops below 60 that I've ever seen. Get a new PSU and a proc at least as good as the x3 720, imo.

And why is that? Considering Intel is keeping the Socket 775 around until 2011 I wouldn't make such a statement (as that is longer than AM3 is going to be around for).

...what? LGA775 is dead. Below i7s Phenom IIs are better buys.

Besides, he can plug in a Phenom II into his current board also... much cheaper that way.

Besides, he can plug in a Phenom II into his current board also... much cheaper that way.

this.

Has an AM2+ board already, can drop in a phenom II with just a BIOS update...why move to the dying socket 775?

Seems like I'm going to need a new PSU. I'm not sure I can fork the money for the PSU now that I've just got the CPU, but I won't put this CPU in till' I've got the PSU.

Any suggestions on a PSU? Take note I'm in New Zealand and things are stupid expensive here.

I'd just try the new proc (I assume you got the X3 720) with your current PSU/Cooling. Both the X3 720 and 9500 are 95W and *should* run well at stock speed on 1.25 volts VCore.

If that doesn't work, then you may have to spring for another PSU. I would recommend trying to future proof and spend a little more now on a quality PSU and not worrying about it for another couple upgrade cycles. Trust me, I know that a cheap PSU can cost you more headaches than the money that you save.

the reason u get such bad fps is because the tlb fix is forced on in windows 7. run the benchmark in winrar (tools->benchmark and hardware test). it will say about 200 and it should be 1000+. you need to download the phenom tlb patch disable tool here-> http://www.rebelshavenforum.com/sis-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000111

i recently installed windows 7 on 9600be and found out that, like vista sp1 they are forcing it on. the only way to get rid of it is with this tool, just put it in your startup. you will see a huge performance boost in source games afterwards.

wanna sell the 720? lol, if you do wind up using it, let me know what kind of performance gain u see, i'm in the same boat.

Back