4870x2 for 200$ - Grab it?

Stardusted

Limp Gawd
I had an offer to buy a 4870x2 for 200$, should I consider it and grab it? I am constantly itching to upgrade (have been for some weeks now) but decided to wait, then this offer comes up...

To replace a gtx260 or 4850 ? (from ure sig)

Well i would just wait, the prices will drop pretty quick once the new cards come out - and the amount of ppl that get awesome deals from ppl getting rid of their old cards.

Well, I have messed up my rigs a bit as you can see (the monitors to be exact) and that's a matter of space,but I think this one will replace the 260, the 260 will replace the 4850 and then the 4850 will replace the 7600 that is inside my third rig.

I have also ordered a 22'' monitor to replace my 19'' one for my main rig, so I think the 4870x2 will be great for that.

One last thing, do you think I should be worried about dx11 compatibility? I mean, currently I take it for granted that it will go down the dx10 road more or less, but no one can be sure...

$200 is hard price to pass up but with new cards coming out and unless u can/dont wanna wait, get it.

Myself, i would wait....whatever you decide make sure you verify that said card works. Run it thru benchmarks and all.

As long as it works fine/as it should, absolutely! The 4870x2 is an absolutely killer card, and will destroy the GTX 260 :)

I had an offer to buy a 4870x2 for 200$, should I consider it and grab it? I am constantly itching to upgrade (have been for some weeks now) but decided to wait, then this offer comes up...

Is your current card having a hard time running the games you play at settings you want?

If the answer to this question is no, I don't care if it cost 10 dollars, don't buy it. Just tranq that compulsion to constantly buy every incremental upgrade.

Further, why anyone would buy any card at this time knowing the new dx11 cards from ati are soon to hit is utterly beyond me.

Even if there was a performance difference that was nonexistent compared to the 4870x2 in terms of the games you play Today... it supports the latest iteration of directx... for the sake of sanity, do not buy that card.

The seller knows his boat is sinking, and is trying to salvage the card before it is worth closer to dirt. New direct x support kind of makes going with the previous generation FAR less attractive than where there is no structural upgrade.

Is your current card having a hard time running the games you play at settings you want?

If the answer to this question is no, I don't care if it cost 10 dollars, don't buy it. Just tranq that compulsion to constantly buy every incremental upgrade.

Further, why anyone would buy any card at this time knowing the new dx11 cards from ati are soon to hit is utterly beyond me.

Even if there was a performance difference that was nonexistent compared to the 4870x2 in terms of the games you play Today... it supports the latest iteration of directx... for the sake of sanity, do not buy that card.

The seller knows his boat is sinking, and is trying to salvage the card before it is worth closer to dirt. New direct x support kind of makes going with the previous generation FAR less attractive than where there is no structural upgrade.

if it was $10, ill still buy it and sell it for profit, assuming it works and all. even at $200, thats a good price. you can make an easy $100 over that if you resell.

I decided to take the deal, the cards seems to be working just fine (I saw it running).

I don't think I ll re-sell it, probably will just go on and put it in the quad core rig, upgrade the pentium D rig to phenom II and then put the 260 in there.

Damn... I just decided some weeks ago to buy a new 24'' monitor, and since then I ended up upgrading my secondary rig and now going to upgrade both my primary and third one.

Why do I feel the need to upgrade em all? Damn, this hobby really is costly...

----------- OFFTOPIC (to avoid opening yet another thread) -----------

The pentium D runs on a crappy JETWAY P4M9MP-LF motherboard. This m/b can take E6xxx core 2 duo cpus, and I could probably find one used. Would it be a waste of money
to just follow that route + GTX260 instead of going full phenom II + GTX260 for that rig ?

What do you use the 3 computers for?
1 - gaming
2 - file server
3 - htpc

?

Well...

My first rig is on my desk, and I use it for everything, including gaming.

My second is connected to my TV, so I use it for movies and gaming

My third is connected to a monitor opposite my bed, and I use it mostly for movies but also for gaming.

I got my card a few minutes ago :S Now I'm trying to figure out how I will put together the pieces in order to make the best out of all of my three rigs (game performance wise).

I also got a used E6300 and will use that instead of the Pentium D 820 in my third rig, but it won't be able to get overclocked. Hope that won't hold any card too much, at least it will still be faster than the D.

I got my card a few minutes ago :S Now I'm trying to figure out how I will put together the pieces in order to make the best out of all of my three rigs (game performance wise).

I also got a used E6300 and will use that instead of the Pentium D 820 in my third rig, but it won't be able to get overclocked. Hope that won't hold any card too much, at least it will still be faster than the D.
what card are you pairing with a stock 1.86 E6300? thats a horrifically slow cpu for any high end card.

Actually its a 2.8ghz E6300 :D

I decided to pair the E6300 @ 2.8 with my GTX260 and 2gbs of ram, keep the 4850 with the E2180 since it runs in a HD Ready TV anyway, and put the 4870x2 with my q6600.

It will be a waste for about a week or so till I upgrade my 19'' monitor, but that's the best arrangement I can think of.

PS : Before I put in the E6300 i did some testing at 1920x1080 with the pentium D 820, and games run quite well even with it.

Actually its a 2.8ghz E6300 :D

I decided to pair the E6300 @ 2.8 with my GTX260 and 2gbs of ram, keep the 4850 with the E2180 since it runs in a HD Ready TV anyway, and put the 4870x2 with my q6600.

It will be a waste for about a week or so till I upgrade my 19'' monitor, but that's the best arrangement I can think of.

PS : Before I put in the E6300 i did some testing at 1920x1080 with the pentium D 820, and games run quite well even with it.
so thats the new Pentium E6300. I cant believe they used the same E6300 label again.

I was a bit confused too, to be honest... the difference is pretty significant, 1ghz :S And we complain about nvidia's naming habits...

This was a good choice. When DX10 came out nothing was worth getting. Sure if you are picky and expect DX11 to be a big deal right away, then you made a bad choice.

Assuming that since you post here, you upgrade with decent frequency...you will probably just get another card with DX11 down the line if you like what you see. Worse comes to worst you can turn around the card for at least $50 profit, or get your money back out of it (from me! 2x4870x2 :) ) Enjoy the games you play at 110% max settings, and be ready for higher resolutions when you find a great deal on a high resolution monitor and spring for that :)

Last edited:

WTF? Are you serisouly expecting DX11 to be much more than DX10 was?

Back