4870x2 Disappointment. Should I get a GTX280 OCX?

Dan,

Do you have the *Multi GPU* option turned on in the video settings by chance? I know there is one in there, but I don't have the game installed so I can't go in and check.

Maybe one of you who have the x2 and COD4 installed can make sure you have that checked while your playing. It will also reset itself every time that you quit a game, so you'll have to enable it when you start the game again.

Only option I see that is similar to what your asking is "Dual Video cards"

In which case I have that set to no, as I only have 1 Video card, does it mean multi GPU's?

I guess Ill try it with it on.

Yes, turn it on since you have multiple gpu's.

I'm real curious to see if that increases frames.

I was talking about minimum frame dips..this will vary from card to card. I should have been clearer meaning it very rarely drops below the 100's. My MAX fps is not double nor is my AVERAGE. Also the review you posted had COD4 still capped at the 90fps. How does this show what the card is capable of and how does it show a true average? Please don't tell me all those cards averaged right at 90fps :rolleyes:
why are you rolling your eyes at me? its their benchmarks not mine but techreport did say "Well, this is a great game, but it's pretty much CPU limited with its quality settings maxed out along with 16X aniso and 4X AA."

I have tried the game with that setting enabled and disabled. It has always stayed enabled or disabled for me as well. I've never had that setting change on its' own. the game plays a little smoother with it enabled, but not by much.

Damn, there goes that theory.

In Bog_B, I noticed slightly higher FPS wit that option on than I do with it off.

Its not a big difference, maybe 8-10 FPS..

Bog_B, All setting Maxed, Dual video card option on @ 1920 X 1200
AA and AF maxed out through CCC
Max: 300 FPS
Average: 70 FPS
Min: 40 FPS

I added some more Info to that post.

Though its werid, all this time I thought I was using 8.7 but my CCC says 8.5 or some crap..

why are you rolling your eyes at me? its their benchmarks not mine but techreport did say "Well, this is a great game, but it's pretty much CPU limited with its quality settings maxed out along with 16X aniso and 4X AA."

Eh, the eye roll as mainly for them. Most reviews are giving minimum, average and maximum.

In Bog_B, I noticed slightly higher FPS wit that option on than I do with it off.

Its not a big difference, maybe 8-10 FPS..

Bog_B, All setting Maxed, Dual video card option on @ 1920 X 1200
AA and AF maxed out through CCC
Max: 300 FPS
Average: 70 FPS
Min: 40 FPS

what kind of AA? lol people should start to post that since 16x AA Box effects performance differently than 24x CFAA :)

Also does everyone use adaptive AA quality? Does it afftect the the performance a lot?

4X AA through game Menu and 16 AA through CCC.

And just how Would I go about setting "24x CFAA"

That kills performence too much. Looks just as good with 16 AA..

i get around 65-70 with 12x CFAA and i get around 50-60 frames with 16x AA, weird. Also it may be because your motherboard is pcie 2.0, mines 1.0, you have 4 gbs of ram, i have 2, and your running a quad core :)

O and you overclocked your 4870 x2 and i didnt :D

Makes sense, or am i lost?

i get around 65-70 with 12x CFAA and i get around 50-60 frames with 16x AA, weird. Also it may be because your motherboard is pcie 2.0, mines 1.0, you have 4 gbs of ram, i have 2, and your running a quad core :)

O and you overclocked your 4870 x2 and i didnt :D

Makes sense, or am i lost?

I thought my 965P was PCIe 1?

I thought my 965P was PCIe 1?

my mistake, mis read and thought it was a P45, yes, it pcie 1.0. sry ;)

Also, so far i've played CoD4, Grid, Stalker, and World in Conflict on my 4870 x2, and WiC wow'd me with the detail. Is there any other games out right now that will "wow" me?

Alright, I know some people have stated that they own both cards. I know there is someone out there who even had a pic of both the 4870x2 and gtx280 side by side on this forum. I need this person's opinion as I'm disappointed with the 4870x2. It doesn't seem to conquer cod4 at 1920x1200 resoltion with 4xaa/16xaf...and everything maxed out. I find this unacceptable. Game is choppy compared to my old 8800 Ultra SLi set up.

I don't think it's my psu or my board. I'm thinking it might be drivers...I might break out windows xp and see what happens though with gameplay. But right now I'm leaning towards a bfg gtx280 ocx. I'd be pssed however if I found out that amd released a driver and all of a sudden people were seeing insane performance with the 4870x2. I just don't think cod4 should be choppy on this card. One thing is for sure, driver's are horrid. Anyone else disappointed, or think a gtx280 performs better?

Hey Cactus - Check this out, maybe it will be some help:

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=521897&mpage=1&key=&#521897

Good luck with that. ;)

Love the responses to that link. BigCactus trolling aside. Biggest misguided tools ever. They are just video cards. /popcorn.

Love the responses to that link. BigCactus trolling aside. Biggest misguided tools ever. They are just video cards. /popcorn.

see i personally also account the looks of a card too, like i wouldnt buy a 4870 x2 which had the anime sticker on it.

So today a comcast tech came to fix my internet when i had my comp case open. So at first he was like cool comp and asked did you build it, etc. But when he came to use the computer to fix the internet, he looked in the case and said "whoa, whats that long thing?" i told him its my graphics card and he said damn and said it looked nice. So was the laugh worth the $600, yes, yes it was :D

Still no luck with cod4. Canada what driver version are using :confused:.

Running with V-Sync and Adaptive 8xAA/16xAF worked fairly well for me. The only problem is that with the single card I get minimums into the sub-30FPS range too often for my tastes. Though this hits the Bog level the hardest. The rest of the game is far more enjoyable in this regard.

Yah, the game experience isn't that bad in cod4 at all. For a single 4870x2, it's just not good enough plain and simple. I already got the return shipping label from best buy. It expires in 10 days. I'm going to try Canada's drivers...if it doesn't help I'm calling it quits and going green. :cool: I might just wait for the gtx280 ocx to come before I send back the 4870x2, test out several games on both cards, and decide which one is better and worth keeping. ;)

Yah, the game experience isn't that bad in cod4 at all. For a single 4870x2, it's just not good enough plain and simple. I already got the return shipping label from best buy. It expires in 10 days. I'm going to try Canada's drivers...if it doesn't help I'm calling it quits and going green. :cool: I might just wait for the gtx280 ocx to come before I send back the 4870x2, test out several games on both cards, and decide which one is better and worth keeping. ;)

I'm using the 8.8 Release drivers which offered a very nice improvement over the 8.7's.

Man you guys in the US have the best return policies, no questions asked try before you buy. In Australia once you take it out of the box and stick it in your rig its yours till death does it part. Sucks to be aussie.

I am running 1 4870 X2 with TONS of problems, and I can still play COD4 max settings Vsync on @ 1680x1050. Runs like a top, no FPS drop.

I am running 1 4870 X2 with TONS of problems, and I can still play COD4 max settings Vsync on @ 1680x1050. Runs like a top, no FPS drop.

I can too. 1680x1050 isn't exactly pushing the 4870 X2. There is a big difference between running a game at 1680x1050 and running the same game at 1920x1200 or 2560x1600.

Man you guys in the US have the best return policies, no questions asked try before you buy. In Australia once you take it out of the box and stick it in your rig its yours till death does it part. Sucks to be aussie.

It actually depends on the retailer but generally speaking yes. We can try before we buy.

Best buy is giving me a full refund. I think I'm just going to pack this card up tonight, and mail it out tomorrow. They even email you a prepaid shipping label. Thing is I really wanted to keep this card. I'm pretty sure once I mail this card out they are going to have a driver release that enables XSP and destorys a gtx280 once and for all. Doh!

so you gonna rejoin evga forums cactus? jk, i couldn't help myself. bfg and evga are the only 2 nvidia dist. that I trust. best of luck

I just played overgrown for about 30 min and my FPS never dropped below 120 frames. Anyone know if FRAPS works in Vista 64? I would like to take some video footage of my in game frames. I set the FPS limit to 300 and have seen it bump off the 300fps limit a few times during game play. I am not getting any sort of crazy FPS drops at all.

This is 1680x1050 all settings maxed.
FPSCOD4.jpg

who knows, maybe it's my motherboard and not the vid card.

Mine does take a good drop in FPS when I push AA to 12X using edge detect but its still in the 100s with slight dips under 100 during air strikes. From most of the reviews I have seen the 4870 not X2 is only a bit slower then a GTX280 in COD4. Drivers should only make this card better but the GTX280 is still a beast also. Sometimes you just have to go with what works best for your combo.

that is what im thinking BC-- -if you look at the guys that seem to be having success, they have x boards and or boards that have pci-e2 slots... Im thinking its a few things.... Memory, pci-e2 slot, and cpu... Now before someone come back and says -- no shit..... Im saying-- i think these things REALLY matter.... Its almost like this card wants a certain level all the way through and if it doesnt get it-- it just throws up... Im thinking a x38/48 board with a good chip and maybe even dd3 ram-- will really help this board come to life.. It just doesnt seem happy with my p35c-ds3r board(f11), ocz ddr800 ram and [email protected].... Something in there is just not letting all the gpu goodness be freeeeeeee :) lol..Where as in the past the gtx280 and other gpu's seem to do better with current or older stuff.. Any chance this card could be made to work best with upcoming configurations--- x58/nehylem/ddr3-2k?

that is what im thinking BC-- -if you look at the guys that seem to be having success, they have x boards and or boards that have pci-e2 slots... Im thinking its a few things.... Memory, pci-e2 slot, and cpu... Now before someone come back and says -- no shit..... Im saying-- i think these things REALLY matter.... Its almost like this card wants a certain level all the way through and if it doesnt get it-- it just throws up... Im thinking a x38/48 board with a good chip and maybe even dd3 ram-- will really help this board come to life.. It just doesnt seem happy with my p35c-ds3r board(f11), ocz ddr800 ram and [email protected].... Something in there is just not letting all the gpu goodness be freeeeeeee :) lol..Where as in the past the gtx280 and other gpu's seem to do better with current or older stuff.. Any chance this card could be made to work best with upcoming configurations--- x58/nehylem/ddr3-2k?

Seems to be ok with my P35 board but im wondering if I would see a difference with PCI-E 2.0. I keep looking at getting that Asus Rampage board but cant justify another 300$ when its already playing really well.

Its strange, i just installed 8.8, and COD4 gained about 3 FPS on average.

but in crysis, the FPS has gone down from about 22 average to rarely ever going above 15.

The odd part is, it feels so smooth, does not seem at all like 15 FPS, to me it feels more like 30 if not higher..

Werid..

I hate to admit it, but I'm also thinking of returning my HD 4870 X2 to Best Buy. I really haven't had as many problems as the rest of you, but the performance is not as great as I was hoping. My GTX 280 seems much faster in COD4, which I play a lot. It probably is drivers but I might just save the $526 bucks until a faster single core GPU is released. I'm glad I haven't sold my GTX 280 yet.

Back