• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

4870X2 cpu bottle neck?

matt_to_the_max

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
407
Hi,
If I bought a 4870X2 would it be held back from my cpu in my system? I have a c2d 65nm e6300 at 3.01GHz. I will be running at 1920x1200 resolution. Would I need to get a newer 45nm cpu that could overclock to 4GHz plus?

Thanks,
Matt
 
Benchmarks show that an i5 or i7 yeild a big boost over Core 2 CPUs for crossfire/SLI multi-GPU set ups.

So yes, you won't be maximizing the potential of your 4870X2 with a Core 2 Duo.
Even if you had a 4ghz Core 2 Quad, a lower clock i5i7 would show better results for that card.
 
in most games you will get about 85-90% of what the 4870x2 is capable of at that res. it really depends on how cpu dependent the game is. the only games that you will see way less than 85% of what your card could do is GTA 4 and some RPG games like Dragon Age. I certainly would not buy another cpu unless it was a quad core because that will be the only thing that can help you in those games. really in those games an i5/i7 is needed for best overall performance.
 
Back
Top