• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870x2 Aftermarket Cooling

cdnbum88

Gawd
Joined
Oct 15, 2008
Messages
522
Have not bought the card yet, but I know with my 8800GT's I quickly got some aftermarket coolers (S1's in their case).

Does this card run hot and is the fan a screamer like most stock fans?

What is a good after market cooler for this beast?
 
Well, the card runs very hot if you don't adjust the stock settings. If you ramp up the stock fan to at least 35% then your idle temps are decent (mid 50's). During gaming sessions I ramp up the fan to 65% at which point the fan does begin to get pretty loud however it doesn't bother me as I have an even louder 5.1 set up. Anyway, what I'm saying is that as long as you keep separate profiles for basic desktop stuff and another for gaming, then the stock fan is more than adequate.

As of yet, I don't believe there is an aftermarket air cooler for the X2 released yet. Some people have mickey moused some thermalright heatsinks I believe but it looks ugly as hell and takes up a small continent of space.
 
So I will have to see my temps in my GS1000 case and go from there.

At worst until something comes out, just add some 120's to keep is cool.
 
Stock fan is fine IMO, hardly hear it above my case fans and i usually have headphones on anyway. 35% normal, 40% gaming.

The fan, noise and heat issues are overrated IMO.
 
Ok. I guess I will have to wait until I get the darn thing and then determine what is my tolerance level.

Just with my Intel right and the S1's and Noctua fans...it was cool and quiet.

The 260 GTX I had with my AMD build...it was loud in my opinion.

We shall see.....:cool:
 
That is true...

I will start with this and probably make my way there eventually.
 
AFtermarket cooling woudl be nice. The stock fan isn't horrible, but it isn't great either. I have what I consider fairly loud case fans that push some decent air, and in order to keep the X2 cool when beating on it in game, It's even louder than the rest of my fans combined and is kind of annoying.
 
I've complained about the heat thing before, I do believe it's important. The noise however is pretty good. My case fans as well are louder than the X2 almost all of the time. The 40% recommended fan setting is too loud unless you're gaming with the sound up loud. 35% is my threshold for annoyance. I've actually just gone back to letting the ATI driver control the fan speed, and it generally never gets above ~32% effective in my case right now, though the driver seems ok to let the chips bake in the high 80C's. If you leave the fan fixed at 35% manually, it will let the card get too hot when it's maxed out, and 40% as noted is just too noisy.

For gaming, unless you're really punishing it, I'm quite impressed by the acoustical profile, and I'm really anal about that. It'll get noisy in the summer running furmark, though. Past 50% is nuts with noise, but I can't see the card ever getting there unless you've got serious airflow problems.
 
To me the temps the x2 gets to at only 35-40% is too high. I run mine at 50% which is maybe just a hair over the noise of my case, and even then I am unimpressed by temps when playing any modern game for extended periods of time. The stock fan gets the job done, but it is far from optimal.
 
I use watercooling and as less as possible slient fans in my computer. I bought the 4870x2 and I am more than happy with the performances of that beast. But I must admit I stopped playing games until I got a waterblock for it. The noise and heat levels were just horrible, I even had to reduce my overclocking a bit as the radiant heat it generated got my other components less stable. With a waterblock installed this card kills (1 slot instead of 2, 25 degrees cooler inside case and silent). If you don't like the idea of installing a waterblock yourself, I spotted quite a few watercooling specialised sites that do sell 4870x2 with waterblocks already installed.
 
I use watercooling and as less as possible slient fans in my computer. I bought the 4870x2 and I am more than happy with the performances of that beast. But I must admit I stopped playing games until I got a waterblock for it. The noise and heat levels were just horrible, I even had to reduce my overclocking a bit as the radiant heat it generated got my other components less stable. With a waterblock installed this card kills (1 slot instead of 2, 25 degrees cooler inside case and silent). If you don't like the idea of installing a waterblock yourself, I spotted quite a few watercooling specialised sites that do sell 4870x2 with waterblocks already installed.

What waterblock did you get?
 
I guess Danger Den is the USA version.

A friend just got his and his temps were 65 before and 1 now.
 
They sell the razor 4870x2 waterblock for $95. Not too bad of a deal as it does cool two GPUs...All you need is a double rad with reservoir $50, pump $50, tubing $20, Coolant $20.., barbs for gpu $5, Zip ties for Clamps...$3....and I believe that's it. Damn that sure adds up though!
 
Since I plan on going CrossFire X the Aqua-Computer block won't fit the need as it doesn't have the additional thread holes for the pass-through barbs.

Danger Den's offering is dissapointing since it is not quite a full coverage block. Looks like it barely covers the GPUs and offers no water cooling over the mosfets.

XPCs Razor water block is more to my liking. Even though it also doesn't provide water cooling over the mosfets it does come closer than DD's DD-4870-X2 block and is a bit cheaper.

I'm going to give the Razor a try and see how it performs.

Thanks for the links, guys. :)
 
Back
Top