4870 x2 on 780i board?

itsukisama

Limp Gawd
does this card work well on nvidia based chipset boards? And does the performace go down to one gpu when multiple displays are used like the 9800 gx2. Because turning off and on sli is annoying as hell

Yes, the 4870x2 will work on an nVidia 780i chipset motherboard

Performance will go down when Crossfire is disabled and you are using only one GPU. Being able to turn off Crossfire has mixed results; me included. I haven't been able to disable Crossfire as of yet to use the 2nd LCD for communications software. Still trying to figure that out...

Yes, a SINGLE 4870x2 will work on an 780i board, but (obviously) not two 4870x2's in CrossFireX.

I had a 4870x2 withan EVGA 780i board and it worked well enough - with the exception of the very annoying bug that I could not wake my computer from sleep/hibernation. Each time the computer would hibernate, it would take TWO (2) cold boots before I could get the system up again. That was extremely annoying as it wasted a lot of time sitting around waiting for reboots. So I sold the 780i and got an ASUS Maximus II Formula (P45 chipset) and have lived happily ever after . . .

. . . or at least for the next 2-3 months until the inevitable i7 upgrade is bound to hit me.

It didnt work worth a crap on my 780i. All things considered, I swapped out a lot of stuff before I simply changed out my motherboard to an intel jobber. Now she works great!!!!

It didnt work worth a crap on my 780i. All things considered, I swapped out a lot of stuff before I simply changed out my motherboard to an intel jobber. Now she works great!!!!

It had nothing to do with the chipset, though you may very well have had a defective board. Please don't suggest to people that ATI cards won't work properly with Nvidia chipsets -- this has /never/ been the case, and it's a sort of "urban legend" we've been trying to crush for years now.

I've now moved to an x38, but I had a 4870 X2 on a 680i and it worked perfectly.

To the OP - don't listen to the people who say that the 4870x2 will not work or didn't work right with the 680i or 780i. This cannot be further from the truth.

As you may already know, nvidia boards cannot support crossfire of two "separate" ATI cards utilizing two separate PCI-E slots. In the case of 4870x2, the 780i will support the 4870x2 because it only occupies one PCI-E slot.

Anyone that says that they had issues running 4870x2 on 780i is either 1) lying, 2) does not know what he is talking about, 3) did something to cause the hardware conflict, 4) he might of had a defective board, or 5) caused the board defect himself and might not even realize that he did it.

From my experience, user error usually is the main culprit to many of the issues that arise from tweaking or handling computer components.

Anyhow, before I digress any further, the 4870x2 runs fine on a 780i. I even GPU BIOS modded the 4870x2 to run at higher default clocks - all on the 780i. She has been running fine on my 780i FTW version without any issues whatsoever.

I even tested the card on the 680i and it ran fine on that board as well.

Yes, the 4870x2 will work on an nVidia 780i chipset motherboard

Performance will go down when Crossfire is disabled and you are using only one GPU. Being able to turn off Crossfire has mixed results; me included. I haven't been able to disable Crossfire as of yet to use the 2nd LCD for communications software. Still trying to figure that out...

Hmm, does disabling the catalyst A.I not work. I am sure that shold work no?

Back