4870 x2 Catalyst A.I. Question

speedy523

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, after all the things i've recently read about Catalyst AI and the 4870 x2 i had a question about it. So far, what i've gotten is that when Catalyst AI is off, the 4870 x2 only uses one GPU, thus rendering it a 4870. But now my question is what is better, Standard or Advance? I currently dont have the time to go in and test each individually, and i dont really want to rely on synthetic tests, but more on in game performance. So does anyone know which, Standard or Advance, is better?

Most of the musings going around do in fact support that when AI is off the card only uses one core.

In Clear Sky and Crysis you can really see the difference in fps. What it comes down to is that if you have a glitch with Advanced, go down to standard, if the glitch persists turn off AI and see if the glitch has resolved. So Advanced>Standard>no AI. With advanced you get best quality with good fps advantage but most risk of incompatibility issues, with Standard you get best performance witjh some compatibility issues, and obviously with AI off you are running one 4870 so you get no crossfire related compatibility issues and no crossfire related performance gain.

In the Crysis sequel get about an extra 20 fps with AI enabled, with no noticeable difference between standard and advanced.

In my case I play Clear Sky with no AI because despite much higher frame rates with AI on I get occ slowdowns to the teens fps which are really annoying. This completely resolves with AI off but instead of running 70-80 fps I run 30-50.

Some games simply don't do crossfire well.

Back