4870 - Wierd Sounds

Dephcon

[H]ard|Gawd
I just re-installed the stock cooler on my 4870 with MX-2 and i downloaded ATi Tool to test it out.

As soon as i opened the 3D window the card stars making a fluctuating high pitched whine and its not the fan, I stopped it with my finger. It reminds me of when I had a power supply go bad. I just booted up Mass Effect and it the card makes a noise as well, its nto the same, but its some sort of lower pitched frequency.

Is this normal? or do i have a bad cap or something?

Thanks

On second inspection the noise is coming from the 4870 AND my HX620 so I'm gonna head over to corsair support and see what they have to say about it.

if it does it when it switches into 3d mode then yeah ive had that for ages on my old gx2 and gtx280 cards, seems to be with the power draw increase

it mostly went away with my new 1000w power supply but its still there, pretty common , but never caused me any issues

I've had this happen with various cards and PSU's over the years.

To me it seems like luck when it doesn't happen (i.e. some combination of card and PSU won't do it)

How is it not getting enough power? My system cant be drawing anywhere close to 620w. Would using a molex->pcie adapter maybe improve the situation? i dunno if both pcie connectors are on the same rail or not.

I have the same thing with my HX620 and GTX 260. From what I can tell the sound is from the PSU. I have tried with the molex and PCIe connectors. Same high pitch noise. :(

Many combinations of videocards, PSUs and mobos produce those kinds of noises, especially when running very demanding apps like ATITool, Furmark etc. It's also common to experience it during the fade-in/fade-out of the loading screen between scenes in 3DMark 2001 (and possibly later versions) and any older DX8/DX9 games that run at insane framerates with modern videocards.

My 4870 makes a weird noise too like there is a bearing lose

I tried using a molex line for one of the pcie connectors, no change. I requested an RMA from corsair so I'll see what happens. Kinda disappointed that i need to ship it all the way to the states for such a stupid thing, especially considering the price premium i paid to get this brand.

This is normal. When the chip processes differing amounts of 3D load, certain parts will oscillate in the range that humans can hear. It's called chip squeal. The G80s did it, some of the G92s did it, the Apple Mac Book pro's did it, etc.

:)

Back