• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 w/ 512 Bus next?

spaceman

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Jan 7, 2005
Messages
14,959
How sick would that be if we get a 512 bus with a 1GB 4870? I am betting nvidia has something new coming for the holidays and ati will counter with that. Sticking with my 4850 until that happens. I want as much horsepower for textures as I can get for around $300.
 
Probably wouldn't see that much of a improvement, so it would be a waste of money in the long run. It has plenty of bandwidth right now I think.
 
Really? I thought the gddr5 could use more bandwidth. Not that I know anything about gpus lol.

I just thought that since nvidia had a 512 bus....
 
Doesn't need it. The quad-pumped transfer rate of GDDR5 means it already has within 15% of the bandwidth of the GTX280, with only a 256-bit bus to the GTX's 512. What's holding back the 4870's at this point is not memory bandwidth.
 
So what is holding them back?

I have $300 now if I sell my 4850 and game at 1920x1200 so I want the 1gb mem. I can live awhile with it of course. Will there be a refresh of some sort before Christmas?
 
Back
Top