Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
They are both great cards for that resolution with the slight edge in image quality going to the ATI card. Really it's whichever you can find the cheapest.
Wow... an "HD 4870 vs GTX 260" thread. Haven't seen many of those on this forum.
Anyhoo... I am a 1680 x 1050 gamer and I have used both cards extensively and I would give the edge to the GTX 260. More vram and better OC potential...significantly faster in Crysis and Warhead, also. Try to get a Core 216 GTX...great cards for the money. But I would even give the edge to just a vanilla GTX 260 196 SP. I had one of those also.
I.Q. is about the same. Maybe ATi is slightly better...it's in the eye of the beholder I think.