4870 to 7770, worthwhile?

I'm locked into best buy due to a $100 gift card.

Go into Best Buy find the Amazon Kindle $25 Gift Cards (usually near Kindles). Grab 4 and go to the check out and pay with your $100 BB Gift Card. Go home and add gift cards to Amazon and viola you now have $100 to buy anything you want from Amazon (i. I do this with all my Rewardzone bucks and Best Buy gc's now. :cool:

Go into Best Buy find the Amazon Kindle $25 Gift Cards (usually near Kindles). Grab 4 and go to the check out and pay with your $100 BB Gift Card. Go home and add gift cards to Amazon and viola you now have $100 to buy anything you want from Amazon (i. I do this with all my Rewardzone bucks and Best Buy gc's now. :cool:

^^^ :eek: genius!!!!

You'd get a much better deal on amazon... I am a 4870 owner (in my old machine) and a 7870 in my new machine... In retrospect, have you considered getting an eVGA card and then taking the opportunity to use their "step up" program later on? Just a thought... I love my 7870, I was going to get the 7770 so I could support 4 monitors again, but I got this with my new credit line at a different merchant

Fuck my life, I never thought of that. Oh well, next Xmas for sure :-D

^^^ :eek: genius!!!!

You'd get a much better deal on amazon... I am a 4870 owner (in my old machine) and a 7870 in my new machine... In retrospect, have you considered getting an eVGA card and then taking the opportunity to use their "step up" program later on? Just a thought... I love my 7870, I was going to get the 7770 so I could support 4 monitors again, but I got this with my new credit line at a different merchant

I bought an EVGA gtx 560, I may try the step up program out.

I can't believe I didn't think of this! Man, I had about $2000 in target gift cards (got married this summer). If I had known to do this, I'd have done it. Alas, I have only $90 left. Excuse me while I go jump off a bridge! Lol

Hope this isn't too much thread hijack. I'm in a very similar situation to the OP - owner of a 4870 512mb and an E8500 CPU. I'm perfectly happy with it now for the games I play: most demanding titles are probably XCOM and Civ V, though I plan to try out Skyrim.

The motivation for a GPU upgrade is that my monitor has died and I've ordered a replacement - a 27" 2750x1440 display.

Will performance on the games I play now degrade below acceptable levels? If not, I'll wait and buy a card when I rebuild my system sometime over the next year. If so, I can upgrade now and keep the video card for the new build.

If I do need to upgrade, what would you recommend? I'd strongly prefer to pay less than $200, give or take a few bucks. I've long found that to be where the value is in the GPU market (I paid about $175 for the 4870, if I recall).

If I'm buying a future-proof card, I need it to be able to drive three monitors for desktop/productivity purposes as I may do a PLP setup. But I'll only use the 27" for 3D/gaming. My sense is that any card can do this, but I do need 3 physical outputs (preferably 3x DVI or 1x DVI + 2x displayport).

If it matters, I usually turn AA down or off on games as a matter of personal preference, and am likely to do so even more with the smaller pixels on the new display.

Thanks.

Hope this isn't too much thread hijack. I'm in a very similar situation to the OP - owner of a 4870 512mb and an E8500 CPU. I'm perfectly happy with it now for the games I play: most demanding titles are probably XCOM and Civ V, though I plan to try out Skyrim.

The motivation for a GPU upgrade is that my monitor has died and I've ordered a replacement - a 27" 2750x1440 display.

Will performance on the games I play now degrade below acceptable levels? If not, I'll wait and buy a card when I rebuild my system sometime over the next year. If so, I can upgrade now and keep the video card for the new build.

If I do need to upgrade, what would you recommend? I'd strongly prefer to pay less than $200, give or take a few bucks. I've long found that to be where the value is in the GPU market (I paid about $175 for the 4870, if I recall).

If I'm buying a future-proof card, I need it to be able to drive three monitors for desktop/productivity purposes as I may do a PLP setup. But I'll only use the 27" for 3D/gaming. My sense is that any card can do this, but I do need 3 physical outputs (preferably 3x DVI or 1x DVI + 2x displayport).

If it matters, I usually turn AA down or off on games as a matter of personal preference, and am likely to do so even more with the smaller pixels on the new display.

Thanks.

you can run the games at low resolution. but if you want to run at 2560 x 1440 you better aim for a HD 7950 boost. if you want the card to serve well for atleast 2 years at 2560 x 1440 there is no way you can buy anything lower. skyrim with mods is quite demanding. so you need a good CPU too.

Last edited:
GTX680 is a solution too. You'll definetally run BF3 and BF4 when it's released on this card.

you can run the games at low resolution. but if you want to run at 2560 x 1440 you better aim for a HD 7950 boost. if you want the card to serve well for atleast 2 years at 2560 x 1440 there is no way you can buy anything lower. skyrim with mods is quite demanding. so you need a good CPU too.

Ok, forget I mentioned Skyrim. I should have expected an upgrade was necessary. After all, I bought the 4870 to play heavily modded Oblivion.

But to run titles like XCOM, Civ V, Paradox games, or Left for Dead 2 at 1440p, is an upgrade necessary? Those are the games I play most, according to Steam.

I suspect on most titles I'm already CPU limited, so a new card won't do much. But tell me if that's wrong.

I'd strongly prefer not to have to play at lower resolution - defeats the purpose of the nice new monitor.

I bought an EVGA gtx 560, I may try the step up program out.

If you ever upgrade to a board that supports SLI, a pair of 560s in SLI pretty much matches a 580 so you could upgrade with another one down the road and have some reasonable performance.

Back