• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 TIM Re-Application

Crispy002

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 3, 2008
Messages
1,385
It's a well known fact that 4870's have pretty warm idle and load temps, and I was tired of having the gpu's fan blowing hard all the time, so I decided to replace the stock TIM with some arctic silver ceramique. First let me say I have the sapphire 512mb version of the card with the exhaust shroud cooling setup. Taking the shroud off was as simple as taking out about 10 screws and overall felt very simple. I cleaned the gpu with q-tips and rubbing alcohol, took awhile since the stock TIM was put on too thickly. Something I observed while doing this, the copper block that touches the gpu should really be lapped. It was noticeably rough and had a considerable amount of small scratches in it. I didn't want to spend the extra bit of time doing that so I put my ceramique TIM on and put it all back together. Idle temps seem to be about 5c lower than before (hanging around 55C) and load temps seem to be about 4-5c lower as well. I'll update after further load testing has been done.

Moral of the story: change your TIM!
 
I changed the TIM on my 4890 w/ tuniq tx-2 and there was no temp difference, so it doesn't really matter imo.
 
My load temps have dropped about 4-5C, hovering around 66C under full load. Perhaps sapphire just uses some cheap paste? I had heard reapplying didn't change most people's temps but I just had to try it, seems to work for me.
 
Back
Top