4870 Installation Headaches

paradigm.r

n00b
So my 4870 finally arrived today and I eagerly ripped the package apart and began the install. Only problem is, whenever I try to to power on with the 4870 installed with the 2 6pins my computer does nada, nothing at all. I am sure its not my power supply because its a 650W qualtiy Antec PSU. I called Diamond Technical support and there only suggestion is that I need to update my BIOS. This would not be a problem, except I sold my old 8800 and I don't have onboard video. So in order for me to update my BIOS, I am going to have to find someone that will let me use there pci-e card. This is going to be a lot of trouble, so I just wanted to ask the knowledgeable people of this fine community if this sounds like the solution to my problem or just Diamond's CSR easy answer for me. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3P motherboard. I am not sure which BIOS version it is as I am not able to check it but I am guessing they are from 07. Thank you for reading!

How can you be sure it's not your power supply? Unless you use a volt meter on it you dont know for certain.

A number of people have this problem here and if you look around a few pages you probably find some topics about it.
One culprit seems to be the monitor, it is reporting the wrong, to high, refresh frequency to the video card which result in a black screen.
If you get a black screen once Windows start to loads this is probably the reason.
If you have a black screen from the moment you push the power on, no POST screen or anything, you could try using a VGA cable between diplay and card if your display supports one, some people have had good results with this.

I am pretty sure its not the power supply. It has succefully powered a 2600pro, 2900xt, and an 8800gtx without a hitch. As far as the monitor problem, I dont even have cabling connected to the card. The system simply does not power on regardless of whats connected but as soon as a take the card out, it turns on.

That sounds like a bad card. Did you buy it directly from Diamond?

you can always go and buy a cheap video card somewhere then return it when you update your bios. Most places are pretty much no questions asked as long as you have a receipt and the original packaging (ie: Best Buy or any other big department like store). But if they do give you a hard time, just tell them one of their sales reps told you it would fit in your AGP slot. lol

I got it through Amazon. Strangely if I put the card in the slot without the pci -e supplementary power cables the computer starts and the fan on the 4870 start up. I didn't leave it on like that for long though because I don't think thats too good for the card.

Your last post gives better information. It could be your PSU isn't suppling the needed juice to fire it up.

The HD4870 draws more power under load than your old 8800GTX, but the idle should be less. I'd try reinstalling the 8800GTX to make sure it's not the PSU.

The HD4870 draws more power under load than your old 8800GTX

No it does not. Went from a 8800GTX to a HD 4870 myself and according to a wall socket watt meter I now use 30w less. Have a friend powering a HD 4870 on a Corsair 620w and Core 2 Quad Q6600 and doing just fine so I doubt paradigm lack any power.

What I would do is hook up a display first and try and if no joy then bring back the card to the store for them to test.

Make sure you card in pushed down into the socket all the way, I have had this problem before, I was so excited to get my new card that in my haste I didnt plug the card into the PCI express all the way.

Yah, that's why I think I'll keep my $20 evga 6200 le as a back up. If it wasn't getting enough power I think it would make an alarm type sound. I've put in a card without pluggin in the power inputs and it made an alarm sound...so it can't be the power.

Since the card works without the 6-pin powers, you know there's only 2 possibilities left. Either the 6-pin power cables of the PSU aren't outputting the proper current, or the card is defunct and can't handle the 6-pin input.
You have 2 options.
Option 1: Gamble. RMA the graphics card and hope that it's broken.
Option 2: Get a graphics card with 2 6-pin connectors and test it. If it works, you know the 4870 is broken, if it doesn't you know your PSU is broken.

No it does not. Went from a 8800GTX to a HD 4870 myself and according to a wall socket watt meter I now use 30w less. Have a friend powering a HD 4870 on a Corsair 620w and Core 2 Quad Q6600 and doing just fine so I doubt paradigm lack any power.

What I would do is hook up a display first and try and if no joy then bring back the card to the store for them to test.
HD4870 consumes more power than GTX 280 ?

well according to every review out there the 4870 uses about the same or slightly more power under load than the 8800gtx just like Kowan said. the 4870 certainly doesnt use 30 watts less than the 8800gtx.

Thank you all for your helpful replies. My friend is going to let me use a card with 2 6pins to make sure its not my psu. I hope that updating my BIOS will do the trick but I am somewhat skeptical that will work. I will try that other card out today and let you all know. Thank you

well according to every review out there the 4870 uses about the same or slightly more power under load than the 8800gtx just like Kowan said. the 4870 certainly doesnt use 30 watts less than the 8800gtx.

I can only speak for myself but I can see that I use around 30w less power now and the only thing changed is going from a 8800GTX to a HD 4870.

I am 99% sure that it's ur bios. I have a similar board too, just the updated version of it and I had a similar problem to you. Once I updated the bios it seemed to work. GB boards are having a lot of problems with the new cards from both ati and nvidia. It's all over the comment sections on newegg for the GB boards.

...650W qualtiy Antec PSU.

Lolz. Personally, of the 5 antec power supplies I had and the ones I worked on - there is no quality. They all died and weird and wonderful ways.

My favourite one (which I kept because its awesome) wont power on for a computer, but when you put power to it, it emits this frequency that trips my door bell. Every time you hit the switch the door bell rings and the computer never turns on.

PSUs are cheap man. Do your self a favour and replace it anyways.

Thank you for your reply mobusta, that kinda makes me feel relieved a little. Nothing worse than dropping upwards of $300 on something and it not working. As far as getting a new power supply, that would be nice, but if my current one can power the card I would like it to do so

Back