• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

4870 idling around 100C

feek

Limp Gawd
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
214
What's up with that? I know 80C is normal, but this can't be good, I'm guessing this is what's causing my random stuttering in games. It doesn't always, it seems like it only does it after my computer has been on a while. If I reboot it goes back to around 80C, but I'm assuming it's just because the fan kicks up during the system boot. Also, I never noticed this until recently, maybe since the 8.8 update; I've had the card for about a month.

Is there anything I can do besides manually turn up the fan? It's sooo loud
 
What's up with that? I know 80C is normal, but this can't be good, I'm guessing this is what's causing my random stuttering in games. It doesn't always, it seems like it only does it after my computer has been on a while. If I reboot it goes back to around 80C, but I'm assuming it's just because the fan kicks up during the system boot. Also, I never noticed this until recently, maybe since the 8.8 update; I've had the card for about a month.

Is there anything I can do besides manually turn up the fan? It's sooo loud
I think the fan at stock runs at about 20%, but 25-30% isn't noticeably louder but substantially cools down the card, try it out. You can also downclock the RAM and GPU as well as lower the volts going to the core. Anyway, 100C is very high, even with the stock BIOS. I don't think it would allow itself to get that high without turning on the fan so something seems off.
 
it seems like it only does it after my computer has been on a while.

Is there anything I can do besides manually turn up the fan? It's sooo loud
Anyway to add a case fan in a drive bay to help increase the airflow over the card?
You've got heat building up it sounds like and need to look at better airflow/exhausting the heat from your case.
 
Yeah, I did just move my PC to a new location, but I think it's exhausting pretty well. It's just weird that it wasn't a problem till just recently. Airflow in the case has never been fantastic, but it was always good enough with case temps around 30-40C(I used to have a 7900GTO). Of course now with the card being so hot they're around 48C.

I guess it is timed around the time I moved the PC to the new location, so I'll recheck the exhaust.
 
i would get some some air flow thru the case and turn the damn fan up on the card
 
I just checked and man that thing is scorching. Air flow seems fine, it's as good as ever. I actually used to run all my fans on the lowest settings, but they're all cranked now.

I just feel like I shouldn't have to do some stupid hack and turn the card into a leafblower to get it to run at acceptable temps (80C would be acceptable to me!). I also don't understand why this thing isn't automatically kicking up the fan on it's own? That's all I really want.
 
id rma it

idle should be high 50's low 60's mid 80's under load

i havent seen any gpu on my 4870's or 4870x2's overclocked get past 87 with stock cooling and stock fan profiles.
 
id rma it

idle should be high 50's low 60's mid 80's under load

i havent seen any gpu on my 4870's or 4870x2's overclocked get past 87 with stock cooling and stock fan profiles.
idle is not in the 50s or 60s for a 4870 with stock cooling and unaltered fan profile. average is around 80 like the op said. anything over 85 or so and something is definitely wrong though.
 
Could this have something to do with it? I went and created a profile so that I could adjust the fan settings and by default it's the following. It looks like it's set to "manual" with no fan speed??

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
</Group>
 
Could this have something to do with it? I went and created a profile so that I could adjust the fan settings and by default it's the following. It looks like it's set to "manual" with no fan speed??

<Feature name="FanSpeedProtocol_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedProtocolProperty" value="Percent" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
<Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Manual" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
<Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
<Property name="Want" value="0" />
</Feature>
</Group>
Very well could be. Try changing it and see what happens. Like I said, 25% is silent if you want quiet, and 30% I can barely hear in addition to my Yate Loon's. Anyway, try changing it and see what happens.
 
Just use Expertool Ati to manuall turn up fan speed. Adjust it yourself..
 
It seems like you've somehow overridden the default fan profile. The default fan profile should have the fan spinning quite fast with the GPU at ~100C, making the card rather loud. At 104C fan speed should have ramped up all the way to 100% making the card extremely noisy. Hope your card didn't take permanent damage during the time the fan wasn't working :eek:
 
What's up with that? I know 80C is normal, but this can't be good, I'm guessing this is what's causing my random stuttering in games. It doesn't always, it seems like it only does it after my computer has been on a while. If I reboot it goes back to around 80C, but I'm assuming it's just because the fan kicks up during the system boot. Also, I never noticed this until recently, maybe since the 8.8 update; I've had the card for about a month.

Is there anything I can do besides manually turn up the fan? It's sooo loud

That's way too hot, even for a HD 4870, which usually idles at around 70-80º C stock. I would RMA the card.
 
Given that case airflow sounds ok the chip is either bad or the TIM wasn't applied right. Either way if temps are still wrong after fan profile tweak RMA asap.
 
Very well could be. Try changing it and see what happens. Like I said, 25% is silent if you want quiet, and 30% I can barely hear in addition to my Yate Loon's. Anyway, try changing it and see what happens.

I changed it to the "default" of Automatic/23 percent and it went back to idling around 80! I don't know how the fuck or why the default profile makes it so I essentially have no fan.

Is there a good way to test if I have any permanent damage from this?
 
I changed it to the "default" of Automatic/23 percent and it went back to idling around 80! I don't know how the fuck or why the default profile makes it so I essentially have no fan.

Is there a good way to test if I have any permanent damage from this?
I doubt you would have significant permanent damage from it, the card is good up to 125C or so and would auto-shutdown if it got too hot. For example, my old 7800GTX in my laptop would top out at 100C+ load and it worked fine for years. Anyway, glad to hear you got it back to normal. You should try testing to see if it correctly ramps up the fan under load now as well.
 
ATI Tray Tools has an artifact scanner, but the best way is probably to watch the screen for artifacts or see if you experience lockups or crashes.

The GPU can go up to 125C before taking permanent damage. No idea what the card would do if GPU temp exceeds that (not gonna try it :p). Maybe it would have shut down. If the card was idling at 100C, it must have come pretty close to 125C under load for sure.
 
just make a profile for fan to be at 40% then make a profile to be at 85%, when your not gaming 40% is nice and will drop your temps down incredibly, if you game 85% shouldnt bother you because you wont hear the noise. Put it back to 40 when your done lol. if you need help with profiles PM me its quite easy and there's a HOW TO on XS forums. I would rma the card as last resort, but this should correct the temps.
 
Hi,Yes i think i would rma it also are use atitools are rivatuner and see what it does.:)
Good Day
 
There is probably nothing wrong with the card, there is no need to RMA it as it would be a waste of his time and the company's time unless a legitimate problem arises. I would reocmmend using ATI Tray Tools to make several combined overclocking and fan profiles.
 
i wouldnt even bother with riva or atitraytools they are buggy for 4 series especially in vista, just enable overdrive then make a profile lol, you have to change 3 things takes 2 seconds and no 3rd part crap involved.
 
i wouldnt even bother with riva or atitraytools they are buggy for 4 series especially in vista, just enable overdrive then make a profile lol, you have to change 3 things takes 2 seconds and no 3rd part crap involved.
Why comment on things you haven't even used? ATI Tray Tools works flawlessly with the 4870 and has many more options and abilities than Overdrive. Overdrive is simple but if you want to get the most out of your card, use a good program to control it.
 
I hate the idea of manually switching between profiles. Things like that should be automatic just like the PSU and CPU fan speed. Sooner or later you forgot to turn up the fan before starting a game, or you just can't be bothered to turn it back after a gaming session.

RivaTuner and ATT both implement dynamic fan speeds with a custom lookup table now which is great. If you're not overclocking, you can just use the default fan settings that the card shipped with - it will make the card nearly silent @ idle and not that loud even under full load but the temps will be a bit high for oc'ing.
 
just make a profile for fan to be at 40% then make a profile to be at 85%, when your not gaming 40% is nice and will drop your temps down incredibly, if you game 85% shouldnt bother you because you wont hear the noise. Put it back to 40 when your done lol. if you need help with profiles PM me its quite easy and there's a HOW TO on XS forums. I would rma the card as last resort, but this should correct the temps.

thanks for the suggestion but i think i'd rather kill myself than go through that hassle and listen to the racket. i cant stand it at even 30 percent. luckily this has basically been resolved, but it's still strange that the default profile is to have manual/no fan speed
 
just make a profile for fan to be at 40% then make a profile to be at 85%, when your not gaming 40% is nice and will drop your temps down incredibly, if you game 85% shouldnt bother you because you wont hear the noise. Put it back to 40 when your done lol. if you need help with profiles PM me its quite easy and there's a HOW TO on XS forums. I would rma the card as last resort, but this should correct the temps.

well you must be deaf
lol at 85% it sounds like a leaf blower. You will here it for sure...even if your playing a game
After about 35% it starts to make more noticable noise.
 
well you must be deaf
lol at 85% it sounds like a leaf blower. You will here it for sure...even if your playing a game
After about 35% it starts to make more noticable noise.

well....try playing games with headphones on, not only will it drown out fan noise, it will enhance your gaming experience

but seriously, when i game, i crank the sound, i cant even hear my 360 spinning up over the surround system playing guitar hero 3 or whatever.....i like my sound loud enough where i dont have to try to hear anything, you will never see me watching a movie going....what did he say?

ever been to a movie theater? it's how you enjoy things and get immersed and can be done safely without damaging hearing
 
well....try playing games with headphones on, not only will it drown out fan noise, it will enhance your gaming experience

but seriously, when i game, i crank the sound, i cant even hear my 360 spinning up over the surround system playing guitar hero 3 or whatever.....i like my sound loud enough where i dont have to try to hear anything, you will never see me watching a movie going....what did he say?

ever been to a movie theater? it's how you enjoy things and get immersed and can be done safely without damaging hearing

personaly i don't like head phones they are annoying. I know what your saying but for most poeple (assuming) they don't use headphones.
 
personaly i don't like head phones they are annoying. I know what your saying but for most poeple (assuming) they don't use headphones.

kind of OT, but what kinds of headphones have you used? just curious if overall you would just rather have speakers, or if you have only tried crapy uncomfortable 10 dollar headphones.
 
kind of OT, but what kinds of headphones have you used? just curious if overall you would just rather have speakers, or if you have only tried crapy uncomfortable 10 dollar headphones.

Personally, no headphones will ever be as comfortable, or as good sounding, as a good speaker system.

I mean, I've owned Sure Ec3's, and now the creative Auravana Live! series... Neither sounded as good as the HK AVR-130 with kilpsche 50w satellites and a 125wrms 10" klipsche subwoofer.

The Auravana's sounded much better than the Ec3's IMO, but aren't the most comfortable headphones...
 
gotta give my props for the hd595's then :p most comfortable headphone ive ever purchased. I always got the infamous ear pain from previous headphones being in contact with parts of my ear, plus i hated the headband, seemed to cause pain over time. i have never had those problems with these and IMO the sound is astounding, given im not a real audiophile so i cant tell ya how well they perform.
 
You can try running furmark windowed while you watch your temps, to pick a fan speed you like.
I think 29% should keep it in the mid 60s when not gaming and 45% should keep it in the mid 70s while gaming. ATI Tray Tools allows you to save a profile that loads automatically.
 
jesus I could never game without headphones, try buying some decent ones, nothing compares
 
ATI Tray Tools works flawlessly with the 4870 and has many more options and abilities than Overdrive.

ATI Tray Tools v1.5.8.1275

Program works perfect for creating your own fan ramp.

My 2¢.

My 2 sense....

Vista 64 with SP1 added something called Driver Signing, so ATI Tray Tools Driver will not load because the drivers aren't digitally signed. You need yet another Utility like ReadyDriver Plus to get around it which modifies the Vista Boot Configuration Data....no thank you. Personally, I'm sticking with the CCC-Profile-Fan-Hack since I don't need ramp-up at all. A single fan speed set for 39% works just fine for me and I've stressed the card using Fur Mark for an hour @t 810 Core / 1100 memory. So in short, why have one more utility ruinning in the sys-tray when I don't need it. Rivatuner works just fine by the way.





Also for the record, I love Rivatuner and have used it with my last 2 Nvidia Cards and I've have also used ATI Tray Tools on and off for a number of years. So I've got no problem with either one.
 
My 2 sense....

Vista 64 with SP1 added something called Driver Signing, so ATI Tray Tools Driver will not load because the drivers aren't digitally signed. You need yet another Utility like ReadyDriver Plus to get around it which modifies the Vista Boot Configuration Data....no thank you. Personally, I'm sticking with the CCC-Profile-Fan-Hack since I don't need ramp-up at all. A single fan speed set for 39% works just fine for me and I've stressed the card using Fur Mark for an hour @t 810 Core / 1100 memory. So in short, why have one more utility ruinning in the sys-tray when I don't need it. Rivatuner works just fine by the way.

IMG

Also for the record, I love Rivatuner and have used it with my last 2 Nvidia Cards and I've have also used ATI Tray Tools on and off for a number of years. So I've got no problem with either one.
I always boot with disabled enforcement of signed drivers anyway, Vista is a major pain in the ass in some respects such as that. Driver signing checking was actually included with the original Vista as well, but it could be turned off via a quick run command. Anyway, I guess I should say that there are different applications available based on the level of control you want. I used ATI Tray Tools because of its excellent voltage control capabilities, but to each his own. I also used Rivatuner on my past NVIDIA cards.
 
I always boot with disabled enforcement of signed drivers anyway, Vista is a major pain in the ass in some respects such as that. Driver signing checking was actually included with the original Vista as well, but it could be turned off via a quick run command. Anyway, I guess I should say that there are different applications available based on the level of control you want. I used ATI Tray Tools because of its excellent voltage control capabilities, but to each his own. I also used Rivatuner on my past NVIDIA cards.

I'm aware of that K6. Per my previous post I was referring to Vista 64 specifically with SP1 applied which covers quite a few users. None of the old tricks to disable Driver Signing work anymore, not even the Group Policy Editor. The only way to permanently disable Digital Driver Signing it is to use ReadyDriver Plus or similar utility or to remove SP1 and weed through all the KB add-ons from Windows Update and there are several which turn it back-on. I looked into it, and it seems Microsoft is always coming out with an update to re-enable it. Guess it's for our own good. :rolleyes:

Press F8 During startup and the Driver Signing is a non-issue.

Yes, going to Safe Mode Menu and selecting Disable Driver Signing will work but it will only work for a single session. It's not a permanent fix and you need to press F8 on every reboot and disable. It's a workaround, but not a good one in my opinion. Better option is Rivatuner or CCC Fan-Profile-Hack.
 
Back
Top